Friday, July 10, 2009

Ep #8: Chapter 38 - The Rescue



LeBeau and Bandjough began to set down in a landing area reserved for them. They couldn’t help but notice how the outpost appeared to be well constructed.


“Looks more like a concentration camp to me,” Bandjough said softly.


LeBeau nodded his head in agreement. “Yeah. I only hope we don’t get suckered into becomin’ permanent residents of this place.”


Bandjough turned to regard him. “Are you telling me that could happen?”


“With Carr in charge? Yeah. You saw how he was when he came to the Federal Buildin’. That guy will do anythin’ to get what he wants. I just can’t believe that Knox…” Abruptly, he stopped and let out a sigh of frustration.


When the ace pilot didn’t elaborate on what he was saying, Bandjough pressed him. “You can’t believe Knox what?”


“Forget it.”


“Tell me what you were going to say.”


LeBeau glanced at him, hesitating. “Look. You have to understand somethin’ about Lenox. He and Carr have a history, and I can tell ya it’s not a good one. They butted heads more than once, and Bear had to keep Knox from outright killin’ the guy on more than one occasion. Knox just can’t stand the guy. Period.”


Bandjough nodded thoughtfully. “Yeah. So…?”


“So now Knox starts defendin’ these bozo’s from Justice like he was one of them. He doesn’t even speak against Carr now.” He shook his head. “I just want to know why.”


The two pilots lapsed into silence, keeping to their own thoughts as they set the Storm Breaker down. LeBeau grunted once when he looked out his window to see Carr approaching the helicopter. He also recognized the blonde-haired woman beside him as the reporter from the DEN. Behind them were several Justice agents trying not to be too obvious that they were out there waiting for a fight.


LeBeau shook his head in disgust. “I don’t like this already.” He flicked some switches and went through the process of shutting the engines off.


In the back, Shiva opened the side door and was the first one to step out.


Just as he did, Carr was there. A startled look appeared on his face for just a second, but Shiva had noticed it. Carr had been expecting Fuller to be the first one out, but he had been wrong. He slowly looked up at the ex-wrestler who towered just above his head.


Carr cleared his throat. “Mr. Shiva…”


Shiva grunted and walked away. He noticed the news reporter from the DEN watching him.


Behind Shiva, Fronk exited the helicopter with his computer bag over his shoulder. He had brought his special modified laptop and a few other goodies that he had been unwilling to reveal to the others. He stopped in front of Carr and looked closely at him.


“Is this place safe from any possible toxins from Allentown?” he asked.


Carr nodded his head with confidence. “Of course. We’re well out of range from any fallout from the bomb that was detonated within the town.”


Fronk regarded him. “Hmm. Then, why is it you look so pale? And what are those green, mucous-looking things on your forehead?” He took a step backward. “Oh, dear…I hope you’re not contagious.” He quickly moved around Carr and headed toward Shiva.


Carr looked after him. Then, he put his hand on his forehead, checking for anything that might be there. He scowled when he realized Fronk had been playing a prank on him. As he turned back to the helicopter, Fuller and Barrington were waiting for his attention as Erin came out of the helicopter behind them.


“Ah, Director Fuller…Mr. Barrington.” Carr nodded to them by way of greeting.


“Director Carr,” Fuller said politely. “What can you tell us?”


“One of my men will show your people to where you’ll be staying. In the meantime, you and I can go to the HQ and I’ll fill you in there.”


“That’s fine, but Albert is joining us.”


Carr glanced at Barrington and shrugged. “That’s fine. Right this way.”


Fuller and Barrington found themselves walking with Carr and Alyson. Shiva, Fronk, and Erin waited for LeBeau and Bandjough. When the pilots had secured the Storm Breaker, the five Gatherers were led to their quarters, which had been set up for them.


Once they were left alone inside their pop-up military quarters, furnished with ten cots, two tables and eight folding chairs, Fronk went to work. He sat at the head of one of the tables, pulled out his laptop and opened it up. He turned it on as the others either took a seat at the table themselves, or sat down on a cot.


As the laptop powered up, Bandjough put his arms on the table and leaned forward. “What are we supposed to do now?”


“We wait,” Erin told him.


LeBeau stretched out on one of the cots and propped his hands behind his head. “I don’t like waitin’.”


“You’re going to have to just wait, Ace,” Shiva told him. “There’s nothing else we can do.”


“Rookie and I could fly over the town,” he said with a snort. “Maybe we’d be able to see somethin’ from above.”


Erin shook her head. “It’s considered a no-fly zone over Allentown, Ace. You just can’t go and fly into the zone simply because you’re bored of waiting.”


“Hmmph,” LeBeau grunted impatiently.


Fronk had the laptop up and running, and he whistled a merry tune as his fingers danced across the keyboard.


“But what are we waiting for?” Bandjough asked. “We didn’t come out here just to be led to these quarters and be expected to stay here, did we?”


LeBeau nodded his head in agreement. “The kid’s right, you know.”


“We’re waiting for Director Fuller and Bear to be filled in on the situation,” Shiva said. “Once they’re filled in, they’ll come back here and fill us in. Then…we’ll do what we’re here to do.”


“And what’s that?” Bandjough wanted to know.


“Find the truth.”


“The truth will not be what you expect it to be,” replied Carr’s voice.


Erin froze. Shiva, and Bandjough began to look around, to see where Carr was. LeBeau bolted upright on his cot.


Fronk simply remained seated in front of his laptop.


“What do you think is the truth?” Fuller’s voice inquired.


“Where is that…?” Erin began to ask until she realized the voices were coming from Fronk’s laptop. “William, you sly dog, you!”


Fronk barked.


Shiva and the others got up and gathered around Fronk and his laptop.


Carr’s voice came from the laptop’s speakers. “The truth, Director Fuller, is…what it is.”


“What is he?” LeBeau demanded. “Forrest Gum?”


“That would be ‘Gump, Fo-Forrest Gump,’” Fronk corrected, imitating Tom Hank’s Forrest Gump accent. “And I would concur that Gump is a lot smarter than this feeble-minded Director of Justice named Ed Carr.”


“How are we listening to this conversation?” Erin inquired.


Fronk smiled. “I gave the Skipper a US Flag pin, which he is now wearing on his coat. The pin, my friends, is actually a listening device we like to call…a bug.” He held up a hand. “Silence! Not another word. Let’s just listen in, shall we?”


Together, the Gatherers listened in on the conversation between Carr, Barrington, Fuller, and Alyson. They all agreed. It was better than waiting for something to do.


*******


Staci could not believe her eyes. She stared in wide-eyed amazement as Lenox stood in the doorway of the kitchen waiting for her to do something. The wait wasn’t long. Staci leaped up from the table, ran over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck.


“I can’t believe it!” she exclaimed, hugging him tightly. “I knew God was going to get me out of here, but I never dreamed He would use you to be the one to come and rescue me.”


Rhodes and Tinker glared at the spectacle. Matthews simply remained at the table and grinned. He was happy for Staci, and he had just been shown once more that God was watching out for her.


Lenox, on the other hand, had been expecting anything but this. Staci not only put her arms around his neck, but then she kissed him. His eyes opened wide in surprise, and it usually took a lot to get him to be surprised. In this case, however, Staci was a lot of surprise for him.


When she pulled her head back, she smiled at him. Not knowing what to do, Lenox patted her on the back. “I’m…glad to see you, too.”


Staci suddenly paled, realizing what she had done. She released him, stepped back and nervously ran her hands down her sides, as if straightening out any creases in her clothes. “Oh,” she said. When she couldn’t think of anything else to say, she said again, “Oh.”


Tinker and Rhodes exchanged looks. Matthews kept grinning. It was clear to him how Staci felt about Lenox, but about Lenox…he wasn’t too sure how the man felt about Staci. At the moment, the man seemed startled.


After a few seconds, Lenox appeared to get his equilibrium back. He looked at Staci. “I’m here to take you out of here,” he said. “Are you ready to go?”


Staci nodded, relieved that the awkward moment was gone for the time being. “Yes. Oh, yes, I’m ready. I’ve been ready since I got here.”


“Good. Then, let’s go.”


“Good riddance, Jew,” Tinker said as Staci and Lenox turned to leave.


Staci began to turn around, but Lenox was suddenly past her and right into Tinker’s space. Tinker was so startled, she found herself with her back against the counter. She leaned back, trying to get away from Lenox’ hostile demeanor.


“What did you say?” Lenox demanded.


Rhodes put his hand on Lenox’ arm. “Back off, jack.”


It was a mistake.


Lenox snapped his arm around, grabbed Rhodes and then slammed him hard on his stomach on top of the table where Matthews still sat at. The wind was knocked out of Rhodes and he found himself struggling to breathe. When he tried to get up, Lenox had his arm twisted behind his back. The pressure the man exerted was painful.


Tinker moved toward Lenox defensively. “What do you think you’re doing?” She tried to grab at his right arm.


Lenox suddenly grabbed her by the fingers with his free hand, twisted and pulled down. Tinker abruptly cried out and sank to her knees. Lenox applied pressure and forced her to remain there while at the same time managed to keep Rhodes on the table.


Staci and Matthews stared in astonishment. Everything had happened so fast.


“I think we have a problem here,” Lenox said menacingly. “I get the feeling that the two of you have been treating Staci without the respect she deserves.”


“She doesn’t deserve respect!” Rhodes shouted out. “She’s a murderer!”


Lenox added pressure. Both Tinker and Rhodes cried out, even though it was only to Rhodes where he added the pressure. “My investigation reveals just the opposite, Agent Rhodes.” He glanced at Staci. “I want each of you to apologize to Staci for how you have treated her during her stay here. And I assure you, this will go on your permanent record.”


When he made that promise, both Tinker and Rhodes simultaneously began to beg for Staci’s forgiveness.


“Do you forgive them?” Lenox asked.


Staci opened her mouth to respond.


“Because if you don’t, I can do this all day.” He applied pressure.


Both Tinker and Rhodes cried out, begging for him to stop.


“No, no…” Staci held up her hands. “I forgive them. You can let them go.”


Lenox looked down at Tinker and Rhodes. “Wow. She forgave you. Apparently, she has a lot more patience with you two than I have. Let’s be sure you say nothing to offend her as we make our way out. Understand?”


Tinker and Rhodes hurriedly agreed.


Lenox released them and stepped away from them. Tinker remained on her knees at the table, massaging her wrist as the pain throbbed in her fingers and wrist. Rhodes went across the kitchen, favoring his left shoulder. He wanted to be certain there was plenty of space between him and the crazy man from ATD.


Lenox watched them both warily. When he was satisfied they weren’t about to challenge him for what he had done, he turned his focus on Matthews. “What about you?” he asked conversationally. “Have you treated Staci unfairly?”


Matthews shook his head. “Oh, no. I treated her with a great deal of respect.”


“Really?”


Staci nodded, confirming the truth of Matthews’ words. “It’s true. Mike was nice to me. You don’t have to beat him up.”


Lenox wanted to grin but he didn’t. He looked at her. “I don’t?”


“You don’t,” she assured him.


“Are you sure?”


“Michael…” she said.


Lenox nodded. “Okay. Alright. You're really taking all the fun out of this for me, but I’ll take your word for it.” He turned to the agents of Justice. “We’re leaving now, then.”


Rhodes nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah…that probably would be best.”


Matthews let out a chuckle.


Rhodes and Tinker glared at him.


Matthews decided not to push it. “Staci, I’m really glad I met you. I hope we meet again.”


“Me, too,” Staci said. “Who knows, brother…maybe we will.”


“I hope so, sister. Take care.”


Staci went over to him and gave him a hug, which Matthews returned. Lenox watched them, trying to figure out just what that was all about. After Staci moved away from Matthews, he led her out of the kitchen. No one followed them as they went out through the front door and Lenox led her to a rental parked in the driveway.


Lenox opened the car door for her on the passenger side and let her in. He closed the door, and walked around the car, grinning as he did. By the time he got in behind the wheel, however, his grin was gone.


He started the car. “So…you’re okay?”


She buckled her seatbelt. “Yes, I am. Thank you.” She smiled at him. “I’m really glad it was you who came to get me. How did you know I was here?”


“I asked around.” He pulled the car out onto the main road.


She looked at him suspiciously. “What you mean is you beat people up, didn’t you?”


“No, I didn’t. I asked people…without hurting anyone.”


She watched him. “You really did enjoy that back there, didn’t you? Were you trying to impress me?”


Lenox shook his head. “No. Come on…why would I want to do that?” He glanced at her. “Besides, I think it was you who wanted to impress me.”


“I did not.”


“Hey, it was you who kissed me.”


“Well…” She hesitated, feeling her face get warm with embarrassment. “I mean…you know…I-I was glad to see you.”


He nodded. “Yeah. I know. So you said.”


“Well, I just…You were…” She stopped. Then, she said, “You were gone for a long time and I was worried about you. So when I saw you…I reacted.”


Lenox winked at her. “God saw what you did, you know.”


She slapped his arm. “Stop that. I-I wasn’t being bad. And you’re trying to change the subject.”


“Really? What subject would that be?”


“You went somewhere without telling anyone. I was scared for you.” Then, she quickly added, “We all were. We didn’t know where you went or why. When I found out you were back, I hurried to Albany to see if I could come to you.”


Lenox looked at her. “Justice grabbed you then because you were looking for me.” It wasn’t a question.


“This isn’t your fault. I went because I wanted to know that you were okay. They grabbed me because they think I killed Ishmael Musad.”


“You didn’t kill him.”


Staci regarded him. “I know I didn’t. But how do you know that?” She paused, remembering what he had told Rhodes. “From your investigation?” She couldn’t help but wonder why Lenox would look into the death of Ishmael Musad, but she really hoped it was because he wanted to help clear her name.


Lenox shook his head. “No. Not from the investigation.”


“Then, how do you know I didn‘t kill him?”


“Because I believe you.” Lenox glanced at her. “I trust your word.”


Staci swallowed. “That…means a lot to me, Michael.” To keep her eyes from filling with emotional tears, she said, “Where were you? Where did you go?”


Lenox paused for what seemed a long time. “I can’t talk about it.”


“You can’t…or won’t?”


“A little of both.”


“Will you ever tell me?”


He shrugged, but he didn’t respond.


“You can. I will always be ready to listen…about anything you want to talk about.”


He nodded. “Thanks, Staci. I appreciate it. I really do.”


Lenox drove the rental to a private airfield. A helicopter was there waiting for them. He parked in the almost deserted lot, they both got out and they headed for the waiting Huey.


“Where are we going?” Staci asked.


“Allentown,” Lenox responded. “Ever here of it?”


She frowned in thought. “I’ve heard of it in horror stories and in movies. Doesn’t Billy Joel sing about it?”


He grinned. “Yeah.”


“Why are we going there?”


“Because everyone in the town has vanished and we need your help to find out why.”


“Maybe they were all raptured.”


“If that’s true, Staci, it wouldn’t make the Rapture theory accurate because these disappearances didn’t happen at the same time as the vanishings did.” He paused for affect. “They happened yesterday.”


Staci was speechless as they entered into the helicopter.


*******


King ran into a problem on his way to see Jim, the man that had come to the shelter with Moore on his return trip from Albany. Three men were standing in front of the barn doors as King approached. When they saw him coming, they purposefully positioned themselves in his path.


He stopped and nodded to them, greeting them. “Tony, Jack…Tom.”


Anthony Morris, Jack Halpert, and Tom Shelby were men who had come to the shelter from Willow Creek. Halpert and Shelby had brought their wives with them, while Morris had only himself to be concerned with. He was a man without a family.


He was also the man who appointed himself as a leader of the three. “Where do you think you’re going?” he demanded of King, intentionally invading his space.


King didn’t back up, as he knew that’s what Morris had intended for him to do. “I’ve come to visit with our new friend, although I must admit…I am mystified that I need to ask for your permission to do so.”


“Well, I think you do have to ask me for permission, David, because we don’t intend to move until you do.”


King noted the way he had said his name. “If that’s what it takes…then, may I enter into the barn to visit with Jim?”


Morris shook his head. “No, your entry is denied.”


“That’s right!” exclaimed Halpert.


“Jim doesn’t want to see you anyway,” Shelby added. “Why don’t you just go back where you came from?”


Morris turned to glare at him. “Would you two shut up? I’ll handle this.”


King, however, decided to call Shelby on his verbal attack. “And where might that be, Tom?”


Shelby hesitated. “Back to Iran…or Iraq…or whatever other part of the Taliban dwellings you came out from!”


“Actually, I was born in Michigan. Right here in the United States of America. I have visited Iran, Iraq, and other foreign countries, but the truth is…I am as much an American as you are.”


Shelby glared at him. “That’s a lie.”


“You expect us to believe that?” Halpert demanded. “We know what you are.”


“That’s enough,” Morris told them.


King ignored Morris. “And what am I, Jack?”


Halpert moved around Morris to stand in front of King. “You’re a terrorist! You had a part in attacking our country.”


King paused. “And how do you know this?”


“Jack…” Morris tried once more.


But Halpert completely ignored him. “Jim told us the truth. He told us everything about you. He told us that your name is really Darwyn Musad and that you helped plan the attacks which happened in our country just as the vanishings took place.”


“Are you going to deny it?” Shelby snapped.


Morris just glared at them. He was angry because they had revealed too much too early. He glanced up toward the loft where there was an opening. He caught a glimpse of Jim watching them, but then the man was gone from view.


“No,” King told them, surprising all three of them, “I am not going to deny it.”


The three men stared at him, dumbfounded. They had thought he was going to deny it, but when he didn’t, they didn’t know how to react.


“It’s true,” King assured them. “I was Darwyn Musad, a terrorist who plotted great harm to your country. But that man is gone. A new man has taken his place. That man is me. I can never take back what I have done over the course of my life, but I do know that I am forgiven and have been given a mission from the Lord. That mission is two-fold. To forsake the old ways.”


The three men could only watch him as he began to speak to them, using God’s Word.


“Jesus said, ‘Every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. 1’” He regarded the men. “I have forsaken gladly my brother, my father, my lands…everything I once held dear to my heart for His sake. I gladly forsake all for Christ because I know I shall inherit everlasting life with Christ. ‘So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. 2’" He held out his hands to them. “If I were not able to forsake all, I would not be His disciple and I would not be your brother in Christ.” He held up a finger as if to emphasize a point. “But if you do not forsake all for His sake, then you also are not His disciples.”


The men glanced at each other.


“Listen to me,” King implored, “and hear me well. This really is not about my past, brothers. It is about someone who has come into our midst with intentions to stir up strife. This person is a carnal person.”


“What is carnal?” Halpert asked.


“Is that like sin?” Shelby inquired.


Morris just stood there and folded his arms across his chest.


“Carnal,” King began, “relates to someone’s physical needs or appetites and this is a conflict in spiritual matters. ‘For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 3' A carnal minded person will bring with him these things. Envy, strife, divisions. He has begun to divide us. Before he came, were you hostile towards me?”


Halpert and Shelby shook their heads.


Morris continued to stand there with his arms folded.


“All three of you have even helped me while we were at the Willow Creek Baptist Church,” King reminded them. “You were a big part of helping to calm those who were frightened. Strong leaders in the church. I implore you to not allow this to cause strife among us. This will only hinder what God is trying to accomplish through us.”


“But God can do anything,” Morris told him angrily.


“Yes, He can. However, He wants to use us, Tony, but the sad truth is, He wants us to be willing. If we are not willing, He will not make us continue with His work. Do you want to continue serving Him?”


Halpert nodded. “Yeah…I know my wife and I do.” He looked at the ground sheepishly. “I’m sorry, David. I…I guess you’re right.”


“I’m sorry, too,” Shelby told him. “Listen, Jim has told a lot of people about you being a terrorist and all. I figure we should go and talk to them. Try to calm them down.”


Morris looked at him as if he were out of his mind.


King shook his head. “That is not necessary. Just tell the others that tonight, I will speak to everyone on this matter and lay it to rest.”


The two men agreed and they walked off to do just that.


Morris, however, hadn’t moved. He glared at King. “I don’t buy it.”


King shrugged. “Tony, I am not selling anything for you to buy.”


“I believe what Jim told us.”


“I can believe that some of what he told you may be true. Then again, I do not yet know all that he has said.” He paused. “May I go see him now?”


Morris shrugged. “Do whatever you want.” He took a menacing step toward him. “Just know that this isn’t over between us.” With that, he turned his back and stormed off.


King straightened and with determination, strode into the barn looking to settle this once and for all with a man named Jim.


*******


Danielle Marie Dozois felt like she was under water, and that was why she thought it was strange when she was able to take a deep breath. Then, she opened her eyes and looked up to a dingy, gray ceiling. There was an overhead fluorescent light to the left of her, but it was still bright enough to cause her to squint her eyes.


She moved her hand to shade her eyes…and realized suddenly that she couldn’t move her hands. Groggily, she struggled to sit up, but couldn’t do that either. As she came to her senses, she realized she was laying on a stretcher of some kind. However, she wasn’t only laying on it, she was also strapped securely to it.


In frustration and fear, she began to struggle.


“Hey!” she exclaimed. “Hey! Somebody get me out of this thing!”


She saw movement on her right, and when she turned her head to look, she screamed. Someone was there by her side with an environmental suit on. Whoever was in the suit leaned over Danielle and tried to offer her reassurance.


Danielle wasn’t having any of it. She struggled even more as another person entered into the sterile room.


“What are you people doing to me?” she demanded.


“Mrs. Anderson,” a male voice told her firmly, “you need to calm down.”


Danielle would not calm down. She thrashed even harder, trying to get loose.


Then, one of the men in the suit pressed some kind of a metallic, shiny gun into her right arm and pulled the trigger. There was a loud popping sound and something stung her arm painfully.


“Hey,” Danielle cried out, “that wasn’t nice.”


Then, her vision got foggy.


“Whoa…please spin the room don’t.”


The two men in the environmental suits looked at each other.


“That should keep her quiet for a few more hours,” one of them said.


“Not good enough,” the other said. “Director Carr wanted us to get him when she woke up. Now…we’ll have to wake her up again.” He paused. “I’ll get him.”


The other man nodded, even though his partner could not see the gesture. He looked down at Danielle just as she closed her eyes again.


When he was alone, he peered curiously down at the sleeping form of Danielle. “Young lady,” he said with wonder in his voice, “by all rights, you should have died out on that road. The trouble is…we have no idea what saved you.”


Danielle couldn’t hear him. She was lost somewhere in dream land.


******* ******* *******


1 - Matthew 19:29
2 - Luke 14:33
3 - I Corinthians 3:3


_______ _______ _______

No comments: