Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ep #5: Chapter 23 - Stepping Stones



Hours had passed for the ATD agents at the Federal Building and a change was in the air. In spite of the presence of the Justice agents, a sense of hope was spreading. Like a contagion, a spirit of unity seemed to spread throughout the building and even throughout the entire city of Albany. An important work had just begun and every one could participate in the great undertaking.


People smiled as they worked. They helped one another out. It had turned from an atmosphere of despair and fear into one of hope for the future.


The only ones who were not caught up in that hope were Director Fuller and his fellow gatherers. They had a better idea than most of what they were truly up against. They themselves had a mission which far exceeded the current one already underway. Unfortunately, they had someone present who was a hindrance to their task.


Ed Carr.


Carr had taken it to his head to familiarize himself with every one he could within the ATD Center. He called them “personal interviews”. He claimed that the only thing he had in mind was to get to know the staff so he could better work with them. Fuller had to remind him that, “It’s not your staff. It’s my staff.”


That’s when Carr decided to start with Fuller.


Willon, Lambert and President Ballou were elsewhere in the building on a separate mission while Fuller resigned himself to his office with Carr.


“We’re talking about cooperation, Darren,” Carr replied smugly as he took a seat in front of Fuller’s desk. “Right now, this city needs the spirit of cooperation to flow right back into its veins.”


Fuller sat behind his desk, scowling. “Oh, so the city is alive now, is it?”


“Well, of course, the city is alive. It’s the people that bring life into it and you and I are to make every effort to help restore that life. So the spirit of unity must begin with you and me.”


Fuller let out a sigh but he didn’t respond.


Carr looked at him. “Now, Darren…you and I have certainly had our differences in the past.”


“I’m quite certain those…differences are still with us in the present.”


Carr ignored the remark. “We can work together, as a team. We can turn the tide of tragedy into triumph, you and I. When others see our spirit of unity, it will give them hope because they will see us as two great leaders who have chosen to set aside those things which had set them apart. They will see us rising above our differences and working side by side to bring back what was taken. We will chase away their fears and give them strength.” He paused, waiting to see if Fuller would respond.


Fuller simply looked at him.


Carr sat forward. “Why are you fighting this, Darren? I’m not your enemy. I’ve never been your enemy.”


“You have never been my friend,” Fuller told him.


Carr sat back and pursed his lips. A sigh of anger escaped him, but that was the only sign he gave that Fuller’s words had struck a nerve. Finally, he said, “Justice is here, whether you like it or not. A change is coming and you can’t stop it.”


“Stop ordering my people around like they were yours.”


“We’re working together-”


“We’re not working together!” Fuller snapped at him. “You don’t want that. You never did. This whole thing is about you and how much power you can take. Someone somehow gave it to you and you’re on some other agenda than the one you’re trying to convince others you’re on. So don’t play games with me, Carr. I know you.”


Carr narrowed his eyes. This time, he remained silent.


“I don’t know what you’re really doing here, Carr…but whatever it is, you will not order my people around. You will not interfere with what I’ve given them to do. You will stay out of their way because if you don’t, you and I are going to have it out.”


“I see.”


“Good. That goes for my pilots. They have a mission to do. They are going to return to it as soon as we’re done here.”


Carr shook his head. “Darren…flying is strictly forbidden.”


Fuller leaned forward. “Is that right?”


“Yes.”


“By who?”


Carr didn’t answer.


Fuller pressed the issue. “Who is giving the order that flying is forbidden?”


“You know that this was likely to happen. It happened after 9 - 1 - 1. There were restrictions put into place back then to prevent unauthorized aircraft over the United States. Those restrictions have been reinforced.”


“I say again…By who?”


Carr paused. Finally, he said, “I’ll leave your people alone, Darren. But you will not send your pilots out again because if you do, I will have them shot down.”


Fuller looked at him. He appeared calm, but wasn’t feeling calm. “You’re not going to tell me who gave you this so-called order to restrict flying?”


Carr’s silence was his answer.


“Now how can we possibly show the city of Albany there’s a spirit of unity present here…when there really isn’t one.” It wasn’t a question. “Do you have anything else?”


“There’s much to discuss.”


“I don’t believe there is. Get out of my office.”


Carr glared at him. “This is outrageous! You can’t dismiss me like this!”


Fuller rose to his feet. “Get out of my office or I’ll throw you out.”


Carr also rose to his feet. “Darren--”


“You call me that again and you’ll lose all of your teeth.” He wondered if he could be forgiven for his attitude toward Carr, but was having a difficult time holding back his anger.


“You’re a fool! I was hoping you were going to get on board with us, but since you’re not, then I must warn you to get out of the way.”


Fuller glared at him. “What are you talking about?”


Carr smirked at him. “I’m trying to talk to you, but you refuse to listen. A change is coming. A great change. A change that will reshape our future. You think I have a secret agenda? You’re right. I do. I have been given the task of looking for people who are right in taking an active part in this agenda. I was certain you would want to be a participant. I was hoping you would be because I already told him…” He stopped. Then, he shrugged. “I already told him all about you. He wants you on the team.”


Fuller paused. “Who wants me on the team, Carr?”


Carr shook his head. “No. I’ve already said too much.” He regarded Fuller. “You just think about this. Think about going with the changes that are coming because if you try to push against it, it will only leave you caught in the currents.” Something suddenly occurred to him. He smiled. “I know a way to test you.”


Fuller scowled. “Test me? What the…?” He stopped himself. Lord, please help me control my temper. Something about this conversation troubles me. If he has something in his agenda that will be a hindrance to Your work, please, God…reveal it through his arrogant pride. He prayed in that manner because he knew Carr was a man who enjoyed bragging. He took a deep breath. “What do you mean by test?”


Carr paused. “Just answer me a question. I want to see if you would be for or against these…changes we’re discussing. Answering this question would reveal your response.”


“By all means…Ask your question?”


“How would you explain the vanishings?”


Fuller paused to think about it. His first response was to lie about his answer, but immediately he felt ashamed. Finally, he was led to simply speak the truth. “The vanishings happened because the trumpet was sounded, Christ had shouted and His people were gathered in the air to meet Him. This is called the Rapture.”


Something seemed to harden in Carr’s expression. “You truly believe this Rapture fairy tale occurred?” He spat out the word “Rapture” as if it were a curse word.


Fuller found himself once more asking for the Lord’s forgiveness because all he wanted to do was drive his fist into Carr’s face. Instead, he simply said, “Yes. I do.”


“Then, you could never be a part of this agenda.” He shook his head. “People vanished, Director Fuller, as a result of world-wide terrorist activity. The nuclear explosion in California and the attack upon our country occurred at the same exact time as this so-called Rapture theory of yours. This is not purely coincidental. The vanishings were triggered by these events and it has been theorized that in some areas where the attacks were more prominent, vanishings may happen again.” He straightened his posture. “Now I have other business to attend to. Good day to you.”


With that, Carr spun about and abruptly left the office, closing the door behind him.


Fuller glared after him, but suddenly, he smiled. Carr had just assured him without knowing he had that the plan Fuller had in motion was going to work after all.


*******


“It’s just a distraction,” LeBeau said as he leaned his back against the wall beside the door. “That’s all it is.”


Bandjough nodded his head, eager to do what Fuller had ordered them to do. “Right.”


“I just don’t want you to let it go to your head.”


He shrugged. “It won’t.”


“Look, in order for us to do this, ya just can’t go off and do somethin’ crazy.”


Bandjough let out a weary sigh. “I know. Man, I may be new to the team, but I’m not a kid.” He shook his head. “Come on, give me a little credit here.” He shone his flashlight into LeBeau’s face.


LeBeau pushed his arm down. “Stop that…And, listen, I just want this to work. Director Fuller wants this to work. You just need to distract them enough so I can get into the bird.” He held his hands up for extra emphasis. “Then, if we time this just right, all I have to do is wait. When we’re ready, we’ll fly right out of here and go get the boys from Maine.”


“Sounds like a piece of cake.”


“Yeah? Well, if ya get too eager, son, you’ll bite off more of that cake than you can chew! Ya hear the words comin’ out of my mouth?”


Bandjough sighed again. “Oh, I hear what you’re saying. Now can you shut up so I can do the distracting?”


LeBeau regarded him with the light from the flashlight in the darkened stairwell. “Ya see, that’s what’s beginnin’ to worry me. How are ya gonna distract them? There’s at least two of those Justice fellas out there watchin’ the birds. What are ya gonna do, Rookie?”


“I’m just going to be myself. Relax.”


Without another word, Bandjough opened the door and stepped out into the sunlight onto the roof of the Federal Building. There were four helicopters and two Justice agents on the rooftop. One of those helicopters was the Storm Breaker.


Bandjough glanced at it as he purposefully walked toward one of the hi-tech Bell ARH’s. The two agents immediately focused their attention on him and as they moved to intercept him, they failed to notice LeBeau sneaking out of the stairwell and disappearing behind an air conditioning unit.


“Whoa there, pal,” one of the agents replied, holding his hand out. “There’s no further authorization for anyone to be on the roof of this building. We’re going to have to ask you to turn around and go back inside.”


The look on Bandjough’s face was one of disappointment. He was the youngest of the ATD Center’s staff, but still looked even younger than he was. He looked like a kid who had just realized he wasn’t going to get that racecar model he had always wanted for Christmas.


“Oh…but…” Bandjough hesitated, “I just…I just wanted to get a look at one of the Bell’s. I…I’ve never been in one, or even this close!” He was hoping that one of the agents was a family man and could be swayed by his act. “I mean, come on. They’re nothing like the Storm Breaker.” He waved his hand toward one. “Just look at that!”


“You have to leave,” the man said forcefully, placing himself directly in front of Bandjough. “That’s not an option. It’s an order.”


The other man held up his hand. “Hold on a minute, Jerry. It’s not going to hurt if we let him look, is it?”


Jerry turned to regard his partner with a look. “You know Director Carr doesn’t make allowances for anyone.”


The man shrugged. “Carr isn’t up here, now is he?”


“Sanders, you know you’re on thin ice with him as it is. Especially with your continual disregard for his orders and a general disrespect for him. He won’t like this.”


“He doesn’t have to know.”


“He will know because I’m going to tell him.”


Sanders shook his head and shrugged. “Then, go ahead and tell him that I gave this young man a break and showed him one of the Bells. Do whatever makes you happy.” He turned to Bandjough. “Come on, son. Let me show you the Bell ARH.”


As Bandjough fell into step beside Sanders, he could feel the eyes of Justice agent Jerry boring into his back. He was beginning to regret this line of action. “Uhm…Mr. Sanders?”


Sanders glanced at him. “Yes, son?”


“Look…I don’t mean to get you into any trouble with your boss. We…uhm, we don’t have to do this.”


Sanders let out a chuckle. “Yes, we do. My boss is a pompous fool who doesn’t care about anyone but himself. If you want to look inside one of these choppers, then I won’t deprive you of the chance. You’re young and just starting out. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to see more. Besides…” He stopped at the side entrance to the Bell ARH and turned to look at Bandjough. “You remind me of my son.”


Bandjough paused as he tried to think of something to say. Finally, he asked, “What happened to your son?”


“He vanished.”


“Oh.” He hesitated. “I’m sorry.”


“Don’t be.” He opened the door. “Wherever he is, I’m sure he’s fine.” As they climbed inside, he said, “Son, have you decided to make any commitments to God about your eternal soul?”


The question caught Bandjough completely off guard. “What?”


“Are you a Christian?”


He paused. “Well, no…I mean, I don’t think I am. I mean, once, I thought a lot of people who called themselves Christians were just that. Christians. But now I’m finding out that there are people who call themselves true Christians because they follow Christ. It’s kind of hard to understand all there is to know about that kind of stuff. I just kind of stay away from it.”


“You shouldn’t.”


“Why not?”


“Listen, son. Don’t try to understand the politics or theology of Christianity. You’ll lose your way if you do. Just know this…There are only two kinds of people in this world. There are saved people, and there are lost people. The saved people are the ones who are truly Christians because they believe in the Son of God and it’s their belief that causes them to go out into the world to spread the Gospel. The lost people are the ones who just don’t get it and therefore they do not have any faith to believe. Their unbelief leads them to their condemnation.” He paused. “Son, if the world didn’t have only seven years left to it, I could say to you that you have your entire life to live it to the full. The vanishings, however, prove to me that you don’t have your whole life before you. It’s gone in an instant, so before that instant comes, you need to make a decision. You need to believe on the Son of God or choose not to. Which will you choose?”


Silence descended upon them as Bandjough considered what he had heard. He thought about the vanishings and about the things he had heard from LeBeau about salvation. Director Fuller and Fronk had also witnessed to him and each time they did, he felt a deep yearning for more in his heart. The seed had been planted. Now it appeared as if Sanders was going to sow the seed.


Finally, Bandjough nodded. “I choose to believe.”


Sanders smiled. “I’d be happy to pray with you.”


Bandjough nodded again.


Like father and son, the two men prayed together and Bandjough suddenly felt as if he did have his whole life before him. But a better and brand new life. He wanted to jump up and shout, but he refrained himself. After they prayed, however, he had a huge grin on his face and couldn’t be any happier than he was.


Sanders clapped him on the shoulder. “Son…I’m glad you’re a part of the family of God. Now you’re going to experience great things for God.” He pointed to a bunch of black canvas bags on the floor in the back. “Take the first one with you when you go.”


Bandjough glanced at the bags. “Why? What’s in it?”


“I was prompted by the Spirit to place a Bible in there. It’s yours. I need you to take it.”


“Wow. Thank you, Mr. Sanders.”


“Now…about that tour of this magnificent piece of brand new, state-of-the-art technological wonder. There’s new computer technology in this beast, too. Only the top--”


He was interrupted by the arrival of Jerry and two other agents. The men remained outside the Bell ARH, but they glared at Bandjough and Sanders with contempt.


“This tour is over!” Jerry snapped. “And you, Mr. Sanders, are relieved until further notice.”


Sanders seemed to accept it with a shrug. He winked at Band-jough. “Remember, son…Only great things will happen when we set out to follow His will.” He clapped him on the shoulder. “Oh, and don’t forget your bag.”


“Uh…My bag?” Bandjough inquired, aware of the eyes of the three Justice agents outside the helicopter.


“Yes.”


Hesitating, Bandjough slowly reached for the bag and when no one made any moves to stop him, he picked it up. Whatever was inside was heavy. He put his arm through the strap and set it on his back as if it actually did belong to him. Then, he stepped out of the helicopter, followed by Sanders.


Bandjough was completely amazed as he stood there. The three hostile agents didn’t even pay any attention to the bag or even him. Their eyes were on Sanders.


“Director Carr will call for you when he’s ready,” Jerry snapped at the older man. “Personally, I think you’re through here. I would have gotten rid of you a long time ago if you ask me.”


Bandjough glared at him, wanting to stick up for the man who had just led him to Christ. “I didn’t hear anybody asking you anything,” he snapped back.


Sanders put his hand on the younger man’s shoulder. “It’s alright, son. You just go about your business.”


Bandjough let out a sigh, but he nodded his head.


Jerry glared at them both while the agents standing on either side of them puffed out their chests, trying to appear even more intimidating than they believed themselves to be.


Bandjough wanted to laugh at them.


“Well, go on and get out of here, kid,” Jerry commanded angrily. “And don’t even think about coming back up here!”


Sanders put his hand around Bandjough’s shoulders and guided him away from the Justice agents. “You’d best be on your way, son. If we don’t meet again, I’ll see you in heaven.”


Bandjough looked at him. “Don’t talk like that. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around.”


“Just remember…‘If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.’ 1” He clapped him on the back. “Now go.”


Bandjough smiled. “Thank you, Mr. Sanders. I’ll never forget this.” With that, he turned and hurried back into the building.


Sanders turned to face Jerry and the other two hostile agents. He couldn’t help but smile, knowing that God had used him in a great way. There was absolutely nothing like being a child in the hands of an Almighty God.


*******


Bandjough was racing down the stairs with the light from his flashlight leading the way. He was excited about what had just happened and was looking forward to what the future now had for him. He was a Christian now.


“Wahoo!” he shouted.


His shout echoed in the stairwell, but he didn’t care if anyone heard it or not.


He couldn’t wait to look into the bag that Sanders had given him and he was awed that the other agents hadn’t noticed it on him. Only God could blind their eyes to what was right in front of their noses. There certainly had to be something extremely important inside the bag for Sanders to take such a risk.


But what could it be?


Bandjough slid down the rail. “Wahoo!” he shouted again.


He had never felt so free in his entire life.


He made it to the floor he wanted, turned off the flashlight and opened the door. He hurried into the ATD Center and realized without even knowing where he was heading that he had wound up in front of a familiar office.


He knocked on the door. “Let me in!” he exclaimed excitedly. “Come on, man…let me in!”


From behind the door, a squeaky voice responded with, “Not by the hairs of my chinny chin chin!”


Bandjough made a face. “What? Crazy Man, open the door.” He looked around, aware that he was being watched by staff members of the ATD. He wasn’t worried about them. It was the Justice agents he was concerned about and some of them were watching him with scowls on their faces.


The door opened and William Fronk placed himself in the doorway. “You! I am on the verge of discovering the secrets of the universe!” His eyes widened as he stared like a mad man. “Do you dare to interrupt me?”


Bandjough sighed. “I have a discovery,” he said through clenched teeth, lowering his voice. “If you let me in, I’ll show it to you.”


Fronk smiled happily. “You do? You will? Oh, boy, oh, boy, oh, boy, oh! What is it? Tell me. Tell me!”


“I can’t.”


“Why not? Don’t toy with me, Rookie, or I’ll rip out your nose hairs and make you scream like a girl.”


Bandjough was beginning to see how others felt when they said that Fronk could be extremely intense at times and annoying. “I don’t know what it is yet. I haven’t looked. Can I please come inside before those Justice agents get curious?”


Fronk slapped himself in the forehead. “Gracious me! Why didn’t you say so?” He grabbed Bandjough by the arm and roughly pulled him into his office, slamming the door behind him. “What do you have?”


Bandjough was relieved to finally be inside. He set the bag down onto Fronk’s desk and opened it. He pulled out a Bible.


“That’s your discovery?” Fronk snapped, slapping a hand to his forehead again. “But I already have one of those!”


“Well…I don’t. Except…this one was just given to me.” Bandjough held it reverently and looked at it. “I’ve never been given a Bible before.”


“Someone gave you a Bible?”


Bandjough nodded.


“Why would someone do that…unless…?” Fronk narrowed his eyes as he took a few steps closer to Bandjough. “Oh, can it be? Have you finally decided to join forces to fight against the dark side of the Force, my young Jedi apprentice?”


The younger man regarded him thoughtfully. Then, he nodded. “People are right about you, Crazy Man. You’re as crazy as a loon.”


“Just tell me this! You have accepted my Lord Jesus Christ as your own personal Lord and Savior.” He paused. “Have you?”


The wide grin appearing on Bandjough’s face was answer enough.


Fronk let out a whooping holler and threw himself at Bandjough, catching him in a bear hug. Bandjough would have returned the hug if it wasn’t for the fact that he was losing oxygen. He began to try to free himself from Fronk’s grip.


“Okay…okay…” Bandjough clapped Fronk on the back. “You can…let go now.”


Fronk stood back and beamed at him. “Oh, brother! This is a glad day! You have been snatched from the grip of Satan and he ain’t a-gonna like it. But too bad for him. One soul won for Jesus is one more glorious victory for us.” He clapped him on the shoulders. “Welcome, brother. You are now a gatherer, just like me.”


Bandjough smiled as he returned his attention to the bag. “Thanks.” He began to rummage through it. “I wish I had got saved sooner.”


“Better now than never.” He clapped his hands together. “What else do you have there, Rookie?”


“Some equipment I’ve never seen before and a laptop.” He pulled the laptop out and set it on Fronk’s desk.


Fronk moved toward it. “Where did you get this?”


“From the man who led me to Jesus,” Bandjough answered. “He told me to take it.”


“Why?”


“I honestly don’t know.”


Fronk sat at his desk, opened the laptop and turned it on. It took only a moment until a login and password was required. He looked at his computer. “Hmmm.” He tapped his chin thoughtfully. “I shall have to spare some time to get into this, my brother, but have no fear. It won’t take long.” He turned the laptop to the side to show Bandjough initials. “E.C.”


“E.C.? What does that stand for?”


Fronk grinned. “Edward Carr. My brother, you have just brought to me the laptop, which just so happens to be the property of the Chief Director of Justice.” He happily cracked his knuckles. “And I am going to enjoy cracking into every single one of his precious secret files.” He laughed like a madman as his fingers began to dance over the keyboard.


*******


With the sun shining, Barrington and the Saints walked on the trail, which would eventually take them to the farmhouse in Penobscot County. It was the place where he had left Erin Greye and Donna Perkins. A shelter was there underground and Barrington knew it was a necessary location for when other Christians would need a safe harbor.


John and Chris Saint followed Barrington, both excited about the new undertaking they suddenly found themselves on. They had no idea what the future held for them. When the Rapture had occurred and after they had given their lives to God, they simply relied on Him to lead them. They encouraged the small gathering that came to Willow Creek Baptist Church and strengthened each other in the name of the Lord.


The small gathering continued to grow as more people came in, seeking answers in the aftermath of the Rapture. John Saint took up the reigns of leadership and was soon called to become the new pastor of the church by a unanimous vote. Everyone had voted for him. There was not one single vote against him.


Now they were following a new direction, which they believed was from God. As they walked, however, both John and Chris noticed that Barrington’s mind was still on his friend. The ATD agent was clearly distracted and Saint began to grow concerned that this continuing trend would eventually effect his faith.


Saint knew about faith. He didn’t understand it before, but now he could hold to it because faith is all that kept him and his wife walking moment by moment. Day by day. He was a man who had faced two liver transplants and colon cancer. During those rocky times in his life, he mostly had felt sorry for himself and even now, marveled at how his wife stayed by his side. Through the worst of it, she was there.


Now he was recovering, but that recovery was a slow road to travel. Even as they walked, he was fully aware of Chris walking next to him. Every now and then, she would look up at him - as he was a half a foot taller than she was - and offer an encouraging smile. He would smile back.


“How you doing up there?” she asked with a sparkle of amusement in her eyes.


“Just fine and dandy, thank ye kindly,” he responded, offering her a wink. He put his arm around her. “Are you getting tired? Would you like me to carry you?”


She slapped at his shoulder. “Showoff.”


Barrington glanced at them as he stopped. “Do you guys want to stop for a rest? We’ve still got quite a ways to go.” He surveyed the area around them. “Looks as good a spot as any to take a breather.”


“Sounds good to me.” Chris pulled her bag over her right shoulder and headed for a fallen tree to sit on. “I’m hungry. How about you guys?”


Saint moved to sit beside her, placing a small travel cooler on the ground beside her bag. “What food do we have? I only brought us enough bottled water for the journey and a few granola bars.” He glanced at her bag. “Did you pack something in that bag of tricks you’ve got there?”


She nodded once. “Yep. I sure did.”


“You never cease to amaze me.”


She waved her hand at him, as if to dismiss the compliment. “It wasn’t anything special, John. It doesn’t take long to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and throw them in the bag.” She began to pull out the sandwiches. “Got some cheese and crackers, too.”


“You’re still amazing.” He looked up at Barrington. “Looks like we’re going to break bread, Brother Bear.”


Chris chuckled.


Barrington made himself comfortable on the ground as the food was being shared. Saint prayed and asked for the blessing, and then they began to eat.


Saint enjoyed food and fellowship as a new believer. He decided to begin a conversation as they ate. “Brother Bear,” he began as he twisted off the cap on his water bottle, “can I ask you a question?”


Barrington took a bite of his sandwich. He nodded.


“How’s your faith?”


Barrington paused as he washed down his food with a swig from his water. Then, he regarded Saint. “Why are you asking me about my faith?”


“Answer the question, and I’ll tell you.”


Chris remained silent but attentive.


Barrington considered how he should answer. Finally, he shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess I would call it a little shaky right now.”


“That doesn’t sound like a good thing,” Saint told him.


“No,” Barrington agreed, shaking his head. “No, it doesn’t sound good at all. It doesn’t feel good either.”


“In these times, particularly after the Rapture, it’s devastating to have shaky faith. Your faith has got to be strong.”


Barrington tried not to glare at him, but he couldn’t help it. “Don’t you think I know that? Do you think I want to feel like this? It’s like every turn I take is taking me further from everything I’ve ever known! My wife and daughter are gone. My best friend has disappeared. The United States is under terrorist attack…” He tossed up his hands in frustration as he rose to his feet. “And I’m stuck in the middle of the woods in Maine, looking for underground shelters to protect a remnant of people we don’t even know!”


Saint and Chris exchanged looks. They remained silent as Barrington turned away from them to look down the trail in front of them. The ATD agent was not used to blowing up in front of people, especially people he had just met.


Times were different now. They were family. They were children of God and they could trust in each other as God had intended from the beginning for His children to do.


Barrington shook his head and let out a sigh of frustration. “I’m sorry I snapped at you two.” He turned to look at them. “Will you forgive me?”


Chris scowled at him. “Gee, I don’t know…”


He looked at her.


She smiled to show she had been teasing. “You’re forgiven…and gullible.”


Saint nodded. “There’s nothing really to forgive, Brother Bear. We’re all in the same boat. We’ve all felt exactly how you’re feeling right now and some circumstances in the future or some events could cause us to feel like that again. You see, they’re stepping stones. We all have them. We all have to face them. The trick is, you have to be strong enough to step on those stones, not walk around them. If you walk around them, you gain nothing.”


Barrington thought about it. “And when you walk on them…?”


Saint smiled and pointed at him. “When you walk up the first stepping stone, Brother Bear, then, you’re ready to walk up the second one. And because you were able to get through the first one, you’re strong enough to be able to withstand the next one.” He spread his hands out. “Obviously, we’re talking about faith here because faith is what you’re going to need to step onto the stepping stones of life. ‘Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good report. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.’ 2 Faith is simply this…” He leaned forward. “Believing and trusting in God. That’s it.”


“Easier said than done.”


“Of course, it is. You just have to stop allowing yourself to be blinded from what God has already given you to do. Once you remove the blinders, you’ll see your way again.”


Barrington looked at him. Then, he slowly grinned. “You like to use objects in these pep talks of yours, don’t you?”


Saint shrugged. “If they work, I’ll use them.”


“So…you’re saying I should just forget about what I’ve been through and what I’ve lost and just focus on what’s ahead of me. Is that it?”


“No one expects you to forget, Al,” Chris replied, shaking her head. “That’s something you won’t be able to do. But you can put it behind you because you can’t do anything about it. Your wife and daughter are gone. Rejoice in that. Let that go and be glad because you know you’ll see them again. You can’t find your friend. You have no idea where he is and there’s really no way you can find someone who may not want to be found, so pray for him. Pray for him because God knows where he is and God can help him where you can’t.”


“I couldn’t have said it any better,” Saint agreed. “Brother Bear, it isn’t enough to believe in God. It isn’t enough to just trust Him. You have to believe what He says and then, you have to trust Him to do what He says. He’s the only One who will never fail you. It’s a high privilege to be believing and trusting in God. There’s nothing like it. Not even peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.” He smiled at Chris.


Barrington swallowed a lump in his throat. He felt as if God had just lifted a heavy burden from his heart. “John…Chris…maybe I wasn’t sent to you to show you the shelter. Maybe He sent me to you so through you, He could share this message to me.”


Saint raised his hands. “Hallelujah, Brother Bear! I feel like singing.” He turned to his wife. “You didn’t happen to place my guitar in your bag of goodies, did you?”


The look she gave him told him she believed he was off his rocker.


*******


Staci was exhausted when she finally had a chance to step out of the makeshift hospital room provided for her from the aid of Ed Carr and his Justice agents. Everything Carr had provided her with had helped her at least make Sumter comfortable, if at least temporarily. Her patient was far from out of the woods yet. Many things could still go wrong.


She had cleaned and disinfected the wounded knee, then packed and dressed it. That knee still had to be operated on. Sumter would not be able to walk without a plate or artificial knee and Staci had no idea how she could even perform such an operation. She was a doctor, but not a surgeon.


That wasn’t the only thing she had to take into consideration for such an operation. An operation of such magnitude could not be performed at the Federal Building in Albany. Sumter had to be in a hospital. She had wanted to take him to Albany Medical, but knew she couldn’t go back there without facing CEO Dr. Richard Manning. Then again, perhaps because of the crisis, he would certainly overlook her expulsion and take her back into the staff. They certainly had to need her help.


She didn’t believe she would be turned away.


However, the circumstances since after the vanishings had led her to where she was now. Maybe it was God keeping her from returning to the hospital. Maybe He was protecting her from a danger she didn’t see.


King and Shiva had been helpful to her as nurses. Sumter was out of it and would be for a while because of the penicillin and pain-killers in his system. King had decided to stay by his side until he woke up so he could begin witnessing to him. Shiva stayed with him to offer moral support. After all, they had no reason to suspect there would be any trouble.


Staci found the break room down the hall and a refrigerator had been stocked with food and bottled water. She grabbed a bottle, began to twist the cap off and turned her head as someone entered the room. To her surprise, it was Carr and two other of his agents.


She smiled at him. “Mr. Carr…I…I really want to thank you for your help. You’ve been such a blessing in disguise, considering how tense it was when we first met.”


“Not at all!” he exclaimed, smiling cheerfully. “It was nothing really. I’m just trying to help where help is needed. I trust your… patient is feeling better.”


“He’s resting, but his knee has to have surgery. I…I can’t do that here. I’m not even a surgeon.”


He looked at her, pulling back in surprise. “Really? I find that interesting. I wonder what else I’ll be able to learn from you throughout the interview.”


She held her water bottle in front of her and looked at him, puzzled. “Interview?”


“Haven’t you heard? I’ve been…interviewing the staff of the Anti-Terrorist Division and everyone else connected to the Federal Building. It’s harmless, I assure you, Staci. I’m just trying to get a sense of what people are feeling about the recent tragedies and to get a census of what people think about the so-called vanishings throughout the city and abroad.” He shrugged. “The interview won’t take very long. It’ll be over before you know it and then, you can go back to whatever it was you were doing.”


She regarded him for a moment. Then, she looked at the two stone-faced agents with him. “Uhm…I’m not a staff member with the ATD.” She shook her head. “I…I don’t even work here at this building.”


He shrugged again. “But you are here now.”


“I really should get back to my patient.” She tried to step around him.


He side-stepped, placing himself in her path. “I’m afraid I must insist.”


Staci took a step back. “There’s no need to interview me. If you want to know how I feel, I’m still scared. The future looks dark, even as a Christian. As for the vanishings, I believe God’s children were taken away in what is called the Rapture. They’re all in heaven with Jesus and we’re stuck down here to face Tribulation. That’s what you needed, right? So…no more interview.”


He shook his head. “Resistance, my dear…is so very futile.” He snapped his fingers.


The two agents immediately stepped forward and with considerable ease, forced Staci face down onto the table and handcuffed her hands behind her back. The water bottle she had fell to the floor and spilled out. It happened so fast, she hadn’t even had time to react. But now she was scared and trying to pull away.


“Wait…! What are you doing?” she cried out.


“We’re going for that interview,” Carr assured her. “If you cooperate, there may be no charges filed against you. If you don’t, prison will be the least of your worries.” To the men, he said, “Let’s take her downstairs, gentlemen. I’ll need to hear what she has to say before I make a proper arrest.”


Staci could do nothing but pray as the Justice agents escorted her away.


******* ******


1 - Matthew 17:20
2 - Hebrews 11:1 - 3

_______ _______ _______

No comments: