Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ep #3: Chapter 14 - The Judgments of God



For a long time, or what seemed like it, Moore and Donna stood in silence as they watched the farmhouse go up in flames. It was completely engulfed now and the flames reached up for the sky. Neither one of them spoke. Donna kept to her private thoughts and Moore just didn’t want to intrude. He felt he had intruded enough. Donna remained still and reverently held the Bible she had taken from the nightstand before she exited the house.


Moore couldn’t help but wonder what was coming next. If it were the end of the world, it wouldn’t be anything good.


When a neighing sound came from behind them, he thought his mind was playing tricks on him. As he and Donna turned around to look for the source of the neighing, they saw a chestnut-colored horse with a white blaze on its face and with four white socks. The horse pranced about in a circle in front of the open doorway of the barn. Every now and then it would look toward them, neigh loudly and bob its head.


“Well,” Donna finally said, watching the horse fondly, “it’s Sir Prize.”


“A lot of surprises are happening today,” Moore told her. “All week long even. Though I can’t really say that seeing a horse on a farm is all that much of a surprise.”


She looked at him. “That’s his name. Sir Prize.”


“Oh. A horse named Sir Prize. How nice.” He nodded his head. “He’s a beautiful animal.”


Donna looked around the barn and out toward the meadow beyond the property. “I don’t see the others. I let them all go because I was going to…” She stopped. “I let them all go, but he came back.”


“Maybe he just don’t like to be anywhere else.”


She nodded. “He’s an American Saddle Bred horse. Sabrina loved him. He’s a…a really good horse. Very docile. Loves to be with people.” She turned to face Moore. “We should go. Are you hungry?”


Moore regarded her. “Firewoman, you’re not thinking of having…” He pointed at the horse.


“No! Why would you think that? Are you crazy?”


“Well, we’re standing outside of your home, which is on fire and it’s also where the kitchen was. I don’t know of any place within miles of here that has a kitchen still intact and with food, so I was just thinking you were going to serve up a horse-ala-cart. Now I do have some place I need to get to and I did stop by ‘cause I was hoping for a place to rest a bit before I continued on my way. It just seems to me that we’re both in need at the moment.” He shook his head as he wiped sweat from his brow. “Back in the day, I could run as fast as this horse probably can, but I lost my agility somewhere along the way and been trying to find it ever since.” He glanced at her. “How many horses did you have?”


“We had four.”


“Really? Four horses?” He shook his head. “And only one came back.”


She paused. “I knew Spirit wouldn’t come back. He’s a feisty one. Doesn’t like to be penned up at all. Likes to run free so I suppose that’s what he’s doing right now. Running free. Maybe the other two are with him.” She let out a sigh. Then, she asked, “Where are you going?”


“Somewhere important,” he said softly. He hesitated, wondering what he should say and what he should keep to himself. “I was driving my truck, but some boys put up some kind of road block and took it from me. I guess they thought they needed it more than I did. I walked here from there and still have a way to go yet.” He shrugged. “Don’t know why, but I never thought of bringing along any food. Since you did offer, then, yeah, I’m hungry.”


Donna paused for a moment. Then, she finally said, “Do you like cheese?”


“Cheese? I love cheese.”


“Some pepperoni?”


“Pepperoni?” He regarded her. “Where are you keeping cheese and pepperoni? Is there a cooler in the barn? Or a fridge?”


She hesitated. “Follow me.”


Curious, Moore followed Donna toward the barn. As they drew closer to it, Sir Prize watched them. When they walked past him and began to walk around the barn toward the back end, the horse slowly followed. Donna walked around the silo and stopped behind it where it met the barn. She reached down and brushed off some dirt. Then, she got up and stepped back.


Moore looked down and saw what looked like a small trapdoor. “What’s that?”


“You know what it is.”


He paused. “I suppose I do.”


“This farm has been in my family for generations. So has this shelter.”


Moore knelt beside the trap door and tapped on its metallic frame. It was so thick, it didn’t echo. “If I was just snooping around and didn’t know what I was looking for, I would have thought this was just an ordinary crank for pipes or something.” He looked up at her. “May I?” He indicated the handle.


She nodded.


He turned the crank a few times until he realized it wasn’t doing anything but simply turning. “It’s not opening.”


“Press down on it real hard and then turn it clockwise.”


“Not counter clockwise?”


She shook her head.


He followed her instructions and was rewarded with a loud pop, which did seem to echo under the earth beneath him. He pulled up and the trap door opened easily for him. He looked down into a dark hole where he saw a steel ladder disappearing into darkness.


He took a deep breath. “I know I never told this to you before…’cause we haven’t really met until now, but I’m afraid of snakes.”


Donna shook her head. “There’s no snakes down there.” She gestured toward the wall of the silo near the ground. “There’s a flashlight in the grass.”


Moore looked where she had pointed, brushing his hand in the grass until he felt a solid object. He picked up the flashlight and turned it on. He shone the light into the darkened hole and saw the steel ladder on the side of the wall going down. He whistled. “That’s quite a hole,” he commented softly. “I’ve been in holes like this before when I was in the Corp…’cept they wasn’t made of metal like this one is. Never could get used to it much, but still…if I needed to get in, I’d just get in. First in, last out.”


“There’s light down there. We have a generator hooked up and there’s plenty of fuel for it. Enough to last a month or so. Plenty of dry goods. Canned foods. A walk-in cooler.”


Moore paused. “You’re gonna stay here?”


She nodded. “Am I going to be able to go with you where you need to go?”


“I wouldn’t want to place you into any unnecessary risk.”


“Will you be able to return?”


He considered his answer. He needed to find the President and if he was successful in giving the message to him, he might be able to bring help. “I may be able to return. Maybe I’ll bring the calvary with me.”


Donna nodded her head, resolving herself to staying at the shelter alone for a while. “Let’s eat something and you can be on your way.”


He began to climb into the hole. “It’s still gonna be a long walk.”


“You can ride Sir Prize.”


“Excuse me,” he said as he stopped half way in the trap door and looked up at her, “but I don’t know how to ride a horse. I’m from Queens.”


She frowned at him. “What’s that supposed to mean?”


He climbed down the hole with the flashlight in one hand. Donna followed after him, closing the trap door.


*******


LeBeau and Bandjough kept a flight path over unpopulated areas. Flying over Vermont and New Hampshire wouldn’t be a problem as there were many areas of forest, hills and farmlands, which seemed free of people who might pose a threat to them. It was unlikely that there were terrorists below them in those areas, but if there were, the pilots were confident they would be up to facing any threat thrown their way.


Even so, that didn’t keep LeBeau from praying anyway.


As they continued on their way, Staci was aware of Erin and Barrington, who seemed to be engaged in a conversation about prophecy. They were sitting across from her and Lenox. She could hear parts of their conversation, but her mind was on other things and prophecy wasn’t one of them. They had already been left behind and she wasn’t too certain she wanted to know what was coming next. What she did want was for Lenox to be saved before the very end.


She glanced at him. “I…I haven’t really had much of a chance to talk with you.”


Lenox sat back with his back to the wall. He appeared to be calm. “You wanted to talk to me? What about?”


“Oh, well…what I meant was since this whole thing started, I…we haven’t been able to really…” She stopped. She tried again. “What I mean to say is…well, I’m glad to have this chance to finally talk with you. It’s been a little crazy. Hard to get to know anyone through all this.”


He regarded her. “What are you trying to tell me?”


“Boy…you don’t make things easy, do you?”


“Dr. Cohen…I really have no idea what you’re talking about.”


“I think I’ve got the same problem. It’s called Open-Mouth, Insert-Foot Syndrome.” She turned her head away, mostly to avoid eye contact with him and she hoped she wasn’t blushing. She could feel his eyes on her. What is wrong with me? I am not attracted to this man! I am not attracted to this man! She let out a sigh. Okay, okay! Maybe just a little. Finally, she turned to face him. “I’m not a doctor anymore. You can call me Staci.”


He paused. “What do you mean by that?”


She hesitated. “I mean…call me Staci. That’s all. I’d…I’d rather not be called by my calling but by my name.”


“What do you mean by not calling you a doctor?”


“Oh.” She let out a little sigh. She didn’t know if she wanted to share any of her troubles with him, but then she decided it didn’t matter. What was past was past. “My license was suspended.”


“Why?”


“A man died. I couldn’t help him and…and I couldn’t prove that he died because I wasn’t allowed near him. His sons kept me from treating him.”


Lenox focused his blue eyes intently on her. “Why would they do that?”


She shrugged. “I…I don’t really know. I’m still trying to think this through and grasp some kind of sense out of it. You…aren’t going to believe this, but they told me they hated me and wouldn’t allow a pig like me to help their father if it was the last thing they did.”


“Let me guess…They were Muslim.”


She nodded.


“And these Muslim’s hate Jews and you happen to be Jewish.”


She shrugged helplessly.


“I’m sorry you had to go through that. Maybe when this is all over, we’ll be able to help you get your license back.”


She looked at him. “You…believe me?”


“Why wouldn’t I believe you?”


“Well…I…I told a man about it…someone I’ve trusted since I began to pursue my calling…and he…he turned against me.” She paused. “I haven’t trusted many men in my life with the exception of my father…but he was like a father to me. When he…when he dismissed me like he did, I just wanted to die.” She realized she was talking too much. “Anyway, life went on and people disappeared. My son disappeared.”


Lenox paused. “I’m sorry for your loss, Staci.” Hesitantly, he reached over and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.


Staci took a deep breath and glanced at him. “Thank you,” she said softly.


He cleared his throat. “What about your husband?”


She blinked. “My…husband?”


“Did he disappear, too?”


“Oh, no, I…We’ve been divorced. It’s been…it’s been three years since I left him.” She shrugged. “Even took my name back.”


Lenox sat back and wondered why he was asking questions as if he cared. He realized that a part of him did care, but he didn’t understand where it was coming from. In many cases where women were concerned, he simply played the part until it gave him what he wanted. For some unexplained reason, he found himself being careful around Staci.


Maybe it was because of the crisis, but he wanted to protect her, even from himself. “Why did you leave him?”


She turned her head to look at him. Why can’t I get myself to shut up? I’ve never told anyone but my sister. “He…liked to beat me. When I had my son, I decided I wasn’t going to bring him home to an environment like that. I didn’t want him to be treated like I was…or to be taught how to treat women without respect.” She looked into his eyes. “I really don’t know why I’m telling you this.”


He paused. “Maybe you needed to tell someone other than your sister.”


“I…I don’t really know you.”


“I don’t know you much either…Staci, but if I ever meet this ex-husband of yours…he’s going to be very sorry.”


She smiled. “Are you…going to beat him up for me?”


He nodded. “Yes. For you and your son.”


“Well…thank you for the thought. I think.” She considered her next words. “Michael…about all that’s happened so far and…and what might happen next…do you believe it? I mean about the Rapture and about Christ taking His Bride away.”


He paused. “I’d rather not talk about it.”


She hesitated. “Oh, I’m sorry. It’s just…don’t you want to be assured there’s a better place to go to when you…when you die?”


“I really don’t want to discuss this now.”


“You’ll have to discuss it sooner or later.”


“Why?”


She regarded him. “I may not have a license, but I’m still answering the call God gave me and it isn’t healthy for you to keep what you’re feeling bottled up inside you. You have to know that. You also have to know you can talk to me when you want to. Whenever you need to because I…” She stopped.


“Because you what?”


“Because I care.”


He smiled wryly, something he rarely did. “Do you now?”


She sat back. “Yes. There. It’s out now. Staci Cohen cares for Michael Lenox. You may not want to talk now so I’ll keep you in my prayers every day until you get it settled with God in your heart. But you’re really not fooling anybody either, Mr. Lenox, because I happen to know that you care about me, too.”


He looked at her suspiciously. “What makes you so certain I care about you?”


“You threatened to beat up my ex.”


*******


They sat in the kitchen, or at least both Darwyn and Fuller sat across from each other at the table in silence. No one said a word. The silence in the room was uncomfortable and seemed to be getting worse with each passing second. Shiva stood in the doorway of the kitchen, his hands balled into fists as he stared at Darwyn.


Darwyn Musad.


A terrorist.


A threat to the United States of America. A threat to free people everywhere. A man who was responsible for the deaths of thousands, perhaps more because of the faith he had once walked.


For Shiva, it didn’t feel realistic. If he had not been saved, he would have reached across the room, picked up Darwyn by his neck and thrashed him to within inches of his life. If Lenox had been there, that was what would have happened. The ex-wrestler, however, realized that things were no longer what they seemed and the stakes were a whole lot bigger than he had originally thought.


So no one spoke for a time. They kept to their thoughts, regarding each other as if sizing each other up or searching for truths they couldn’t get by speaking them. The room was lit by candles and smelled of lavender and lilac. The candles had once belonged to the wife of Albert Barrington who had been raptured one week ago. Barrington wanted Darwyn to stay at the apartment until he knew what was expected of him from God.


Darwyn had other ideas. “I understand your…hesitancy in coming to me,” he finally said.


Fuller shook his head. “I wasn’t hesitant, David. I was…cautious.”


“My name is Darwyn, not David.”


Fuller shrugged as if it didn’t mean anything to him one way or the other. “Al and Staci both assure me that you have become a member of the family.”


“And you seek proof?”


He shook his head. “I have their word. All I need is your word and that will be good enough for me.”


Darwyn looked over at Shiva. The big man seemed to be uncertain. The ex-terrorist looked into Fuller’s eyes. “How can you simply trust a man’s word? Especially a man like me, knowing the evil I have done.”


“Your word is an oath. A bond. A covenant. I’m not a scholar, but I do understand what a covenant is and how God made strong covenants with His people that cannot be broken. They can’t be broken because they’re not meant to be broken. David, give me your oath here and now, before Marc, myself and the Lord our God, and I’ll never question your loyalty.”


Darwyn swallowed a lump in his throat and his eyes blurred. He took a deep breath. He chose not to make a comment on being incorrectly called David a second time. “I didn’t know what to expect from our meeting…but it certainly wasn’t this.” He looked over at Shiva. “What are your thoughts?”


Shiva let out a weary sigh. “I don’t know. They’re…kind of mixed right now.” He paused. “A part of me wants to kill you because of what you are. Because of the part you’ve had to play in the attack against my country. But God saved me and I suppose if He can do that, He can save you, too. I have to admit though…Director Fuller may have your trust, but I don’t.” He then added, “Not yet.”


Darwyn sat back. “I understand what you say.” He turned to Fuller. “What you’re telling me is different and altogether difficult to understand.”


Fuller shrugged. “That’s because we’re human. Things like this…how can one simply understand forgiveness? All I know is the days ahead are dark and we’re going to need all the light we can get. We need each other, David…so give us your oath.”


“I must be punished for my sin.”


“You can’t be.”


“I was part of the attack! You must take me in and bring me to justice.”


Fuller shook his head. “It’s not going to happen. Give me your oath and let’s be done with this.”


Darwyn leaned across the table, desperation in his eyes. “Please…you must help me! My guilt is too great. What I have done--”


“--Is done. Finished. David, if what I’ve been told about you is true, then your sin has been cleansed. Yes, you still have to live with the consequences, but if I understand the Bible correctly, God takes our sin and casts them into the sea of forgetfulness and remembers them no more. Shouldn’t we do the same? Shouldn’t we drop them all into that same sea and go about our lives doing what He wants us to do? How effective can we be if we keep dredging it all back up?”


Darwyn remained silent.


Fuller regarded him for a moment. “Things are going to get a lot worse, David. If we’re going to be effective, we have got to start making plans right now before it’s too late. Bigger things are coming. We’ve got to know what happens next so we can act. We need you to help us.”


“How?”


“I don’t know yet. I only know I feel compelled to have you join us.” Fuller paused. “I want your oath.”


Darwyn reached for the Bible he had been given by Barrington. It had once belonged to Joseph Canaan. He looked across the table at Fuller. “Then I swear an oath by the Lord of hosts and by you and your friend that I shall give my life to Him and that He may use me to glorify His name. Whatever He wants me to do, I will do. Wherever He wants me to go, I will go. I swear by the King of kings and Lord of lords that this oath is binding and will not be broken. I swear loyalty to Him and to you, my brothers in Christ. Though the devil cast all of his power to try and break it, it will never be broken because it is bound by God Himself. This I swear in His name.”


Fuller reached his hand across the table. “That’s good enough for me.”


Darwyn took it and the men shook.


“I also swear an oath to you, my brother, that together, we will move mountains for the glory of God.”


Darwyn actually smiled. “The Spirit is with us.”


Fuller returned to smile. “Yes…I feel it, too.” He glanced over at Shiva. “Do you feel it, Marc?”


For a moment, Shiva remained silent. Finally, he said, “I’ve never felt like this before.”


“What do you feel like?”


“I feel like shouting.”


Fuller grinned. “Let’s save it for later. I don’t think it’s a good idea to scare the neighbors.” He turned to Darwyn. “Have you been able to find out what we can expect to happen next? I haven‘t really had much opportunity to get into His Word. A little here and there, but I get the feeling End Time Prophecy is going to take up a lot of time for research.”


“This is true,” Darwyn replied as he pushed something small across the table toward Fuller, “but first, I must give you this.”


Fuller picked up a small key with a number on it. The number was 832. “Where’d you find this?”


“It was in this Bible. It was in the place of John. There’s even a verse there, which matches the numbers on that key. It is John 8:32. ‘And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.’” He paused. “I don’t know where the key goes. It must have belonged to this Joseph Canaan.”


“You’ve never met Joe?”


Darwyn shook his head. “Should I have? Who is he?”


“A carpenter.”


“Really?” He nodded appreciatively. “That is very interesting. Do you know what the key is for?”


Fuller nodded. “I may.” He thought for a moment. Then, he returned the subject back to End Time Prophecy. “About what’s next…Did you get a chance to look into it?”


“I did.”


“And?”


Darwyn opened the Bible to the Book of Revelation. “I’m not one hundred percent this is going to happen next…or if it already had happened. It makes sense to me, but…I’m as new at this as you are. What I find here is this…” He began to read, “‘And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.’ 1” He looked up at Fuller. “This I believe refers to the Mahdi. The Antichrist. Evidently, he is already here. Very soon, I believe we will see him and recognize him for what he is. Who knows what he is already doing while America is blind? I imagine that it has something to do with a peace treaty with Israel…but then again, we’ll have to wait and see.” He kept his finger in place as he turned to the Book of Daniel. Then, he read, “‘And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the one week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.’ 2” He flipped back to the Book of Revelation as he said, “I must look into this. I’ve heard it said that in this prophecy, the ‘one week’ is not actually one week but seven years. If this is correct, then the Antichrist will make peace at the beginning of this seven years and then in the middle of it…he will break it. This is the first sealed judgment, which is opened so it must be the next event we are to look for. Yet there is more.”


“I thought there would be.”


Darwyn read out loud, “'And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.’ 3” He smiled. “This should be interesting to see. When the peace treaty comes about, there will be two witnesses who appear and prophesy in the name of the Lord. The Lord shall empower them to do great things in His name.”


“Who are these witnesses?” Shiva asked, caught up in the Bible lesson.


“I’m not clear as to who they may be. I’ve heard this before, that it could be Elijah and Moses. Or Elijah and Enoch.” He shrugged. “I cannot know whom it shall be.”


“Wait a minute…Are you telling me the two witnesses are going to be two guys…from out of the Old Testament?” Shiva shook his head. “This I’ve got to see.”


“If we live through this attack,” Fuller commented, “you will see.” He placed the key into his pocket and sat back. “Do you mind if we stick around and study some more on this subject?”


Darwyn smiled. “You are, of course, very welcome to stay, my brothers. I feel…odd granting you this when it isn’t even my home.”


“It isn’t your home…nor ours. We’re just passing through, David.” He turned to Shiva. “Come on, Marc. Pull up a chair and let’s study with David King.”


Darwyn frowned. “David King? I…don’t understand.”


“You made an oath.”


“I did.”


“You‘re a new creation in Christ, right?”


“Yes.”


“Darwyn Musad no longer exists as the man you once were. Now, you’re a new man. David King.”


Darwyn understood. He nodded his head. If they were ever out in public, he could no longer be known as Darwyn Musad. He was now David King. “I…am David King. Like King David…but not a king at all.”


Shiva held out his hand. “It’s nice to meet you, David King. I’m Marc Shiva.”


David King shook his hand. “I’m also glad to meet you, Marc, my brother.”


The three men sat at the table and studied the first sealed judgment that would be loosened upon the earth. As far as they knew, it may have already been poured out and already happening. What they did discover was that after the first judgment was opened, there were going to follow six other ones. That would be followed by seven trumpet judgments and then, seven bowl judgments.


Each one was worse than the first.


And it didn’t include the three woes.


*******


Fronk opened his eyes only to discover that he was lying on a beach and his first thought was that he was on Survivor, knowing Jeff Probst would never allow anyone to vote him off the island. That just wouldn’t be right. Then, he realized he wasn’t on Survivor. He was wearing a pair of white slacks, sneakers and a red shirt. On the ground beside him was a white sailing hat.


He picked it up as he sat up, eyes wide in amazement. “Oh boy! I can’t believe it! I’m really Gilligan.”


That’s when he was hit on the top of his head.


“Ow!” he cried out. Then, he looked up and saw Director Fuller standing over him. Only this Fuller had gained quite a few pounds and was wearing a blue shirt, white slacks and shoes. In his hand was a captain’s sailor cap, which he had used to hit him over the head with. “Hey! You really are the Skipper!”


Fuller pointed at him. “Knock it off, Gilligan!” He closed his eyes and sighed. “I mean, William. I don’t know what this is about, but I’m not liking it already. I want out of this dream of yours.”


Fronk slowly pulled himself up and got to his feet. Brushing himself off, he said, “Skipper, I can’t control my dreams. What’s wrong with being the Skipper? You look good in blue.”


From somewhere around them came the sounds of pre-taped laughter from a studio audience.


“Gilligan, I mean it! We have got to get off this island!” Fuller angrily jammed the cap onto his head. “I meant dream! Can’t you wake yourself up?”


Fronk pinched himself in the arm. “Hmm, that’s odd.”


“What?”


“I pinched myself, Skipper…and I didn’t feel it. Wow. I really am dreaming!”


The pre-taped audience laughed again.


Suddenly, a man wearing white stepped out from the jungle to join the two men in the lagoon. It was Barrington…only he was the Professor. “Gentlemen, we have a very serious problem.”


Fuller glared at him. “Tell me about it.”


The laughter returned.


Fuller glared as he tried to see where the laughter was coming from, but without success.


“I’ve calculated from the range of the setting sun to the tip of the dormant volcano at the edge of the island, giving careful consideration to the velocity of the breeze and the density to the ocean floor, bearing in mind the-”


“Professor, can’t you just say it so we can understand it?” Fuller groaned.


“Yeah,” said Fronk. “I don’t understand gobbledygook.”


The laughter sounded.


Barrington nodded and looked solemn. “Alright,” he replied seriously. “In simple terms…There may be savages on this island.”


Fuller looked distraught. “Oh, no!”


“Savages?” Fronk questioned. “What do savages have to do with the setting sun and dormant volcano’s? Hey, is that like a volcano with a welcome door mat?”


Fuller hit him with his hat.


“Ow!”


The audience laughed.


“Wait!” Barrington exclaimed. “I hear someone coming now. Look! The bushes are moving and they’re even screaming!”


Fuller shook his head. “Those aren’t bushes that are screaming, Professor. Those are…” His eyes widened. “Oh, no! It’s Mary Ann and Ginger!”


From out of the jungle came Mary Ann and Ginger, only they were actually Erin Greye and Staci Cohen. “Save us! Save us!” they screamed.


“What’s the matter?” Fuller said as he and Barrington approached them.


Fronk followed.


“A savage is chasing us!” Erin exclaimed. “We have to get off this island!”


Fuller smacked Fronk again with his hat. “No, we don’t. Gilligan…I mean William just has to wake up!”


Once more, the audience’s pre-taped laughter sounded from all around.


He let out a sigh, shaking his head in frustration. “Gin…ahh, Staci, Erin…where are the Howell’s?”


Staci and Erin exchanged glances. Finally, they both shrugged.


“We don’t know,” Erin said.


Staci sighed. “Maybe the savages got them.”


“We can find the Howells, Skipper,” Fronk assured them. “Just follow the howls.”


Fuller frowned. “Follow the Howells? Are you out of your tree, Gilligan? We can’t see the Howells in order to follow them!”


“I mean follow their howls for money, Skipper. They’re always howling for money so we should be able to listen for them easily!”


The pre-taped audience laughed.


“But, Gilligan, we’re scared!” Erin whined. “We can’t hear the Howell’s. Our heartbeats are loud in our ears, and I’m dizzy!”


Staci pointed toward the jungle. “That horrible savage could be here any second!”


Barrington gallantly stepped before the girls, placing himself intentionally in front of the approaching danger. “Don’t worry, Mary Ann and Ginger. We’ll save you. Won’t we, Skipper?”


Fuller stood beside him. “Of course, we will. Ain’t that right, Little Buddy?”


There was no response.


“Gilligan?” Fuller turned.


Fronk was furiously pinching himself.


“Oh, Gilligan,” Staci began as she and Mary Ann moved toward him, “what are you doing?”


“I’m trying to wake up so we can get off the island.”


“Oh, how gallant!” Erin exclaimed. “You’re trying to save us!”


“Save you! I don’t want to see the savage. I’m scared!”


The audience laughed.


Barrington sighed. “It’s too late anyway, Gilligan…Here comes the savage now.”


And there he came. He came out of the jungle, bare chest glistening with sweat, his brow furrowed into a permanent scowl. The savage wore a headband with what appeared to be fake bones and feathers. He had a spear in one hand and a knife in the other and when he came out of the jungle, he stood before the huddled crew from the Minnow - minus the Howells - and glared at them.


They watched, fearful and curious.


“Wait!” Barrington began, “I think he’s going to speak.”


Staci scrunched up her nose in thought. “That savage looks familiar. Isn’t that Michael Lenox?”


Lenox the savage grunted. Then, he said quite loudly and with a snarl, “Unga bunga, oonga boonga!”


“Oh, no, Professor!” Staci exclaimed. “What’s he saying?”


Fronk paused. “I think he said…” He puffed out his chest and said loudly, “’Unga bunga, oonga boonga!’”


Lenox the savage pointed at Fronk. “Hidee hidee haney woo!”


Fronk ducked behind the others.


Fuller looked shocked. “Professor, what just happened?”


“That’s what I was afraid of,” Barrington replied solemnly.


“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Fronk pointed out. “Any time the Professor says, ‘That’s what I was afraid of,’ always makes me afraid.”


“You should be, Gilligan…” Barrington sighed. “He challenged us as a group and then, you challenged him right back. Now…you have to fight him and I’m afraid it’s to the death.”


“Can’t we fight to the life? Why does it always have to be to the death?”


Barrington held up a hand. “Wait! I think he’s going to speak again. Listen everyone.”


Lenox the savage opened his mouth and a very strange sound came out. It sounded like, “Zap!”


“Huh?” Fronk inquired. “What’d he say?”


Barrington put his hand to his chin. “It wasn’t what he said. It’s what it sounded like. Listen!”


Lenox opened his mouth again. “Zzzap!”


“That’s what I thought. It sounds like a fly zapper.”


“A fly zapper?” Staci asked.


“Yes. It has to do with electricity and metal wires. When a fly lands on it, it is zapped.”


Lenox said more insistently, “Zzzzzzzap!” as he raised his spear and prepared to throw it. “Zzzzzzap! Zzzzzzzap!” he cried and tossed the spear right toward Fronk.


“Noooooo!” Fronk cried, bolting right up in his chair.


He took a deep breath as he suddenly got his bearings. He blinked, but everything was blurry. Then, he felt around on the computer desk before him until he found his glasses. He put them on as the zapping sound continued loudly from the computers modified speakers.


He turned the volume down.


The zapping sound was what he had set up to alert him when the computer came into contact with a working satellite in space and also came online. Even though the zapping interrupted a very strange dream, he was grateful to finally be able to get in touch with the rest of the world. His fingers began to dance across his keyboard as his eyes studied the screen.


It wasn’t long before he found out what he wanted to know, but soon wished he hadn’t been the one to find out. The dream was nothing compared to the reality. He could recall the entire dream and find it nothing but amusing. Unfortunately, what he discovered online was nothing but a nightmare come to life. He had a bad feeling it was only the tip of the iceberg.


******* *******


1 Revelation 6:1, 2
2 Daniel 9:27
3 Revelation 11:3


_______ _______ _______

No comments: