Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ep #3: Chapter 11 - Loose Ends



Rage.


That was all Michael Lenox felt.


The great eagle had fallen and he wanted to know why. Until he had that answer he so desperately sought for, he would do what was necessary to protect what was left of his pride. Of his country.


He stood on the rooftop of the apartment complex Barrington lived in. As it turned out, Barrington’s neighbor was none other than Dr. Staci Cohen. Another surprising discovery about her was she had been the younger sister to Nichole Parkhurst, who had worked as Director Fuller’s personal assistant. Nichole was said to have been one of the vanishing, but to Lenox, the story was unclear. Staci couldn’t confirm her sister vanished because she hadn’t been there to see it happen. Yet she insisted it was true.


Lenox took a deep breath.


He was missing something.


He searched the area surrounding him for any sign of a clue he thought he was missing. What was he missing? What really happened here on this rooftop a few days ago? He didn’t know, but he suspected Barrington wasn’t telling him everything.


“Strange place to meet, brother.”


Lenox wasn’t surprised to hear the voice coming from behind him. He had not only heard the man come out onto the roof, he had also been expecting him. He didn’t turn around but remained where he was, still searching the area in front of him. He was looking at the surface near to where the ladder of the fire escape led to the landing below the rooftop. That was where Barrington was when he had come out onto the roof. Barrington had been helping Staci up.


Staci, however, had looked down.


She had looked down as if she was looking for something…or maybe at someone. But who?


“Glad you showed up,” Lenox replied.


One of Albany’s finest stepped up beside him, joining him. Randy Groh looked around, trying to determine what the ATD agent was looking for. “You mentioned you might need help with a problem.” He paused. “What kind of problem are you talking about?”


“A loose end kind of problem.”


“Yeah?”


“Yeah.” Lenox turned his head to regard him. “I don’t like loose ends. They give me a belly ache and I’ve got one now.”


Groh paused. “Gotta be Maalox somewhere around here, I‘m sure. Don‘t you have a friend who lives here? Knock on his door. Maybe he‘s got a bottle.”


The ATD agent slowly approached the edge so he could look down at the fire escape landing on the side of the building. It was approximately nine or ten feet below him. Staci had been lucky not to have hurt herself falling onto it. Then, there was that nagging question. Had someone been there with her to help in taking the full impact of the fall onto that landing?


“Okay. Maalox is out,” Groh commented with a shrug. “You still haven’t told me what you’re looking for.”


“I haven’t worked everything out yet,” Lenox finally said as he straightened and turned to face him. “Something is going on with my partner, and I want to know what it is. I need to know what he’s up to.”


The police officer paused to consider what he was being told. “You think he’s on the take or something like that?”


“I don’t know. He’s been acting crazy lately. Ever since these strange disappearances have happened, his behavior has been out of whack.” He looked around again. “I suspect he was up here with someone other than the doctor, and I just want to know who that was.”


“Well…I can’t do much to help out. I’m just one guy.”


Lenox regarded him. “What about Yorke? Can he help you?”


Groh sighed. “I’ll ask him, brother, but…I have no idea what you expect us to do. I mean, look around. There’s a lot of problems going on down there and not enough manpower to help.”


“This could be important.”


“How important?”


Lenox paused. “It could lead us to one of the men responsible for the attacks.”


Groh glared at him. He thought carefully about what he was being told. “Well, now, brother…that is an altogether whole different ball game. And what does your partner have to do with this?”


“I don’t know yet.”


“Is he in on it?”


Lenox shook his head. “No. He’s not in on the attack! I don’t want you going after him.”


“You’re telling me your friend has some kind of connection with a man who may have been deeply involved in the attacks here last weekend! How can I believe he isn’t involved?”


“Albert Barrington is not involved with these attacks. I suspect he knows someone who may be. I don’t know what the motivation is behind my friend’s actions, but I’ll deal with him. You won’t.”


“What were you going to ask me to do?”


“I want you to watch this place. See who comes and goes. And if you do see someone suspicious, don’t do anything until you contact me.”


Groh paused. “Like I said…I can’t take all my time to help out, but with Yorke’s help, we could work something out.” He looked at Lenox. “With cell phones out and no way to contact you, how are we supposed to let you know anything? Would sending smoke rings into the air do? I’m sure we could light a campfire up here on the roof.”


Lenox once more surveyed the area around them. He saw a ventilation unit and moved toward it. Examining it, he discovered he could easily pry the covering on it a few inches apart and stick his hand inside. He showed Groh. “Put a note or something in here. Make sure it doesn’t fall out of reach or I’ll never know you left one.”


Groh frowned. “Sure. How long we gonna do this?”


“As long as it takes.”


“Yeah? Well, just so you know…I’ll go along with you for now, but I can’t promise I’ll pass an opportunity by when it comes to taking any man down who played a part in the attack.”


Lenox glared at him. “I’m looking for someone to trust, Randy. Can I trust you?”


Groh nodded. “You can. The temptation will be hard to ignore. That’s all I’m saying.”


“Well, resist it. Let’s get our facts before we make a move, but when we do…we’ll both see that justice is done.”


“Sounds like fun.”


Lenox nodded to him. Then, he turned and left Groh alone on the rooftop with his thoughts.


^^^^^^^


“She fainted?” Fuller inquired as he and Barrington both looked down at her, concern evident on their faces.


She lay on the sofa in his office. With her eyes closed and her breathing steady, Staci looked peacefully content.


Barrington sighed. “No…I think she’s just exhausted. Tired.” He straightened as he turned to regard the Director. “But I suppose we’re all tired. There doesn’t seem to be an end to this nightmare.”


Fuller nodded his head with certainty. “Oh, there’s an end, Al. It may not be a good end for us while on this earth, but where you and I end up will be better than we’ve ever imagined.” He tenderly wiped at Staci’s forehead with a damp cloth. He shook his head, brow furrowed with worry for her. “She’s burning up, Al. I don’t like this.”


“Let her sleep it off.”


“I was hoping to see you guys off within minutes of our meeting.”


“Will it hurt anything if we leave in the morning?”


Fuller pursed his lips thoughtfully. “I suppose it won’t. You’re probably right. You should all get some sleep before you go.” He paused. “I’m just worried about the President.”


“We’ll find him.”


He nodded but fell silent as he looked down at Staci.


Barrington sat in one of the chairs in front of the desk and shook his head. “Todd…” He didn’t make it a habit to call the Director by his middle name, but when they were alone and not discussing mission directives he treated him like a friend. Now they were more than friends. They were like brothers. “Can you see a resemblance?”


Fuller knew whom he was referring to. He smiled. “Yeah…There’s some there. Her hair is different, her eyes are green, not brown…but there is a likeness. Some of her mannerisms even remind me of Nichole.”


Barrington grinned. Then, he let out a chuckle.


“What?”


“Knox is gonna throw a fit when he finds out she’s going with us tomorrow.”


“Let him. He throws lots of fits lately. I really need to sit down and have a long talk with that stubborn mule, but now is not the time.” When he was satisfied Staci was alright, he moved to sit behind his desk. He lowered his voice, not because he didn’t want Staci to overhear him, but because he didn’t want to disturb her rest. “I feel kind of awkward…Like we’re trying not to interrupt class while whispering secrets back and forth.”


Barrington nodded. “But you’ve got something on your mind, so spill.”


“I’ve got more than I’d care to have on my mind, Al.” He paused. “While you’re on your mission in Maine, I’ll be on one here.”


“Really? What mission?”


“I’m going up to your apartment to see Darwyn Musad.”


Barrington paused. “I kind of figured you’d get around to that.”


“You’re sure he’s on the level?”


He nodded. “I don’t think he’d throw everything he once believed in away like he did if he wasn’t. He saved Doc’s life. Those two men on the rooftop were there to kill her like they killed the woman in her apartment. If it wasn’t for Darwyn, they would have succeeded.”


Fuller glanced at Staci. “She got lucky then, didn’t she?”


“If God sent Darwyn to her, luck didn’t have a thing to do with it.”


“Amen to that.” Fuller let out a weary sigh as he ran his hands through his hair. “I feel awful. I don’t imagine she thought life would be like this when she was in medical school. I worry about her going on a mission, especially when she isn’t a field agent. In fact, she isn’t an agent at all.”


“She’s a medical doctor. If the President is alive and needs help, she can help him. You’ve said that yourself, and maybe this is what God is leading her to do.”


“We can’t make that decision for her. I told her why I needed her. I just didn’t give her a chance to decline.”


“No. She passed out before that came up.” Barrington nodded thoughtfully. “Something tells me she’ll go with us. Besides, I won’t let anything happen to her and neither will Knox. He won’t like it that she’s going but she’ll be safe with him. You know that.”


Fuller nodded. “Yeah.” He regarded Barrington for a moment. “Yeah. I know Michael will do right on this mission. He’s pig-headed and stubborn, but he always does what needs to be done. That’s what has me worried.”


“What do you mean?”


“Man has a nasty habit of doing what man thinks is right and not what God knows is right. You and I are new believers, Al. We’ll probably have to learn the hard way when to do what we’re supposed to do according to God’s laws, but Michael isn’t a believer. He’ll do what he thinks is the best option without giving God’s laws any consideration. If we don’t get him to see it the way God does, we may lose him forever.”


Barrington nodded slowly. “I’ve had the same thoughts.”


“Have you had a chance to study much about what is next in God’s timeline?”


“Not much. Kate’s Bible, though, has a lot of her notes in the margins. There’s going to be the rise of the Antichrist, and…and I think there’s something in there about hailstones.” He shrugged helplessly. “I wish I had time to study it.”


“Why don’t you get your wife’s Bible and we’ll both look into it.”


Barrington rose to his feet, nodding. “Alright. Yeah, I’ll go get it and be right back.”


“If you see Michael, tell him to catch some sleep before the mission tomorrow.”


“I’d better let Ace and Rookie know. Knowing them, they’ve got the blades turning and are hovering anxiously above the rooftop, expecting us to make a jump for it.” Barrington left the office, taking his flashlight with him. He turned it on and entered into the darkened stairwell. As he entered, he walked right into someone who screamed.


Erin Greye was as pale as a ghost. As her heart pounded rapidly in her chest, she fell back against the wall. The flashlight she had been carrying rolled on the floor and then down the steps she had been walking up. “Oh, Lord…” She took a deep breath. “I think I’m having a heart attack.”


“I’m sorry, Erin.” Barrington regarded her with concern. “Are you okay?”


She hesitated. “Yes.” She blinked. “No.” She rubbed at her eyes with a shaking hand. “Oh, I don’t know. I’m tired…I’m still scared. I-I jump at everything.” She swallowed. “I don’t know how much good I’m going to be, Al. How can I be expected to do the job Nichole did? I can’t be her. I can’t even see well enough…Everything’s a blur.”


“You can’t see?”


“I lost my glasses.” She blinked at him. “Somewhere. I…don’t know where. I just lost them.”


Barrington frowned. “I’m sorry. Hey, go see Crazy Man. He’s got a box of glasses in his lair. Maybe there’s a pair that will help you.”


“Yeah…Okay, I’ll find him.”


“Erin…it’s going to be okay.”


She looked up at him, puzzled. “How is it going to be okay?” she whispered, trembling. “We’ve been left behind and the worst is yet to come.” Unexpectedly, she shouted, “And I can’t see without my glasses!”


He put a hand on her shoulder, attempting to reassure her. “You need to rest, that’s all. We’re all tired.”


A sob caught in her throat. “I-I can’t do this. I’m not strong enough. I just can’t…” She began to cry. Embarrassed, she tried to turn away from him.


Barrington took her in his arms and held her close. He kept his own emotional turmoil back as his heart ached for her pain. With his arms around her, she wept on his chest. They stayed like that for a time.


It was what Erin needed. It had helped her let some of the anguish she had been feeling out. It was enough to gain some of her equilibrium. She put her hands on his chest and gently pushed at him. “I’m okay,” she grumbled.


He stepped back, watching her. “Are you sure?”


She straightened, brushed at her eyes, and nodded. “Yes. I…just needed to get that out. Thank you.” She looked at him. “I’m ready for the mission.”


He paused. “Mission?”


She nodded. “Yes. Didn’t you know? I’m going to Maine with you.”


“Oh…No, I didn’t know.”


“Well, I guess you know now.” She cleared her throat nervously. “Guess I’d better find a pair of glasses so I can see what I’m doing. Can’t leave without them.”


Barrington glanced down the stairs where her flashlight had fallen. He handed her his. “Take this. I’m heading downstairs so I’ll take yours.”


She took it from him. “Thank you. Uhm…For the hug, too. I needed that.”


He smiled at her. “Sure. Are you going to be okay?”


She nodded. “Yes.” Then, she said, “Why are you going downstairs? Aren’t we expected to leave soon?”


“We’re leaving in the morning, so…find a quiet corner and catch some sleep. I’ve got to go find Knox.” He started to head downstairs. “I’ll see you in the morning.”


“Okay. Oh, I hope you don’t mind the flashlight.”


Puzzled, he looked up at her from the lower steps. “Why wouldn’t I mind it?”


“My flashlight is pink. I don’t know how you would feel moving around in the dark with a pink flashlight.”


He smiled. “Don’t worry about it. It won’t hurt my pride and I’ll get it back to you in the morning.”


“Okay.” She returned his smile. “See you in the morning.”


Barrington continued downstairs to the next landing where he found Erin’s pink flashlight. He picked it up. Then, he couldn’t help it. He laughed.


^^^^^^^


Youmud Musad wanted to believe the attack had been a success. Many Americans had been killed during it and fear had been struck into their hearts. They now cowered in shelters and clustered together in packs like wild animals searching for a place to nest. They kept out of the streets for the most part, except for the National Guard and the police who patrolled without ceasing.


They were trying to maintain order. In some areas, this was being accomplished, but in other areas pockets of violence were breaking out. Those Americans who were not in any shelters and were known as hoodlums amongst the proper authorities were taking advantage of the power outage. They were working as teams. Some caused distractions while others looted specific targets. Some groups attacked the innocent and wreaked havoc just for sport.


That made Youmud’s heart feel gladdened.


But it wasn’t enough.


Not as much damage as he had hoped for had been accomplished. The American agency called the Anti-Terrorist Division had led a successful charge and taken out the cell he had been a part of for many years. It was a cell he, his older brother and his father had led for several years. In that cell, they had methodically planned the fall of the United States of America. Their plan coincided with many other cells throughout America and was meant to go into affect at an appointed time.


It was all planned and timed just right.


It was working so well.


Youmud glared across West Avenue from the shadows. He was glaring with hatred in his eyes at the apartment complex his older brother now cowered in. It was the fault of his older brother that their cell had failed. He wanted to kill him. He had wanted to kill him for even longer than that, yet when he saw Darwyn fall to his knees and saw him beg to the infidel’s God to save him an even greater hatred for him festered in his heart.


Youmud wanted desperately to kill his brother.


He crossed the street and easily entered the building. He went into the stairwell and made his way up in the darkness until he felt his way to the fifth floor landing. There he waited until he was satisfied no one was around. He couldn’t see anyone in the dark and as he strained to listen for any telltale sounds, he couldn’t hear anyone either.


Was someone there?


Youmud stood still and remained silent a moment longer. He raised his head and looked up, though all he could see was darkness. He really had no way of telling if someone were there or not. Anyone could be there as well as not be. One of the agents could be or perhaps that traitorous jackal, James Bollinger. Youmud cared not if anyone was. If he was discovered, he would fight to the death. If he wasn’t, he would continue to be the scourge against America right unto the end.


Deciding he had spent enough time listening to the darkness, he stepped out into the hallway, exiting from the stairwell. The hallway was empty and he was glad. Knowing where he was going he headed for the apartment with determination. He went to door number 55 and without hesitation knocked loudly.


Unknown to him, Groh watched him from the window of the door to the stairwell. The police officer had been standing on the stairs when the terrorist had arrived. It took all he could do not to draw his weapon and kill the man right then and there. But Groh disciplined himself and waited. Now he watched from the darkness as Youmud pounded on the door to number 55. It was to the apartment Albert Barrington lived in.


Groh didn’t know anything about Barrington. Lenox seemed to be on the level, a man dedicated to fighting against terrorism. Groh had fought with the agent out in the streets during the attack. The one thing that bothered him the most was the lack of movement from Barrington during the attack. Barrington never seemed to so much as raise his weapon. In fact, Groh didn’t recall the man ever firing his weapon. He heard that Barrington shot and killed two terrorists on the rooftop, yet did anyone really see it happen?


In his mind, there were too many unanswered questions.


Barrington didn’t seem the type who was willing to fight for his country. That was what Groh had seen of him, so he was forced to come to his own conclusions. Now there was a terrorist knocking on his door.


Groh wanted to take action, but as angry as he was, he cautioned himself. Lenox was right in one thing. He had to get the facts before he took any action. So he willed himself to wait and to watch.


Youmud pounded on the door a third time. “I know you’re in there!” he exclaimed. “You will open this door, brother!” He spat the word “brother” as if it were a curse word.


The door opened and Darwyn Musad stood there. He stood tall and unafraid as he regarded his younger brother. “Have you come to kill me, brother?”


“Spilling your blood would bring me great joy,” Youmud told him, “but it can wait. I must talk to you.”


Darwyn stepped aside. “Come in.”


Youmud glared for a moment. Then he finally stepped into the apartment, allowing his older brother to close the door.


From his hiding place, Groh fought to control the urge to bust into the apartment with his weapons firing.


*******


Darwyn Musad allowed his younger brother to enter into the apartment. He closed the door and followed Youmud into the living room where enough candles were lit to see by. Darwyn stopped in the doorway of the room and simply stood there watching his brother. He decided it was best to let him make the first move. If the man had come to kill him, then so be it. However, Darwyn didn’t believe that was Youmud’s motive for the visit.


Youmud walked into the living room and looked around. His eyes took in everything. The candles. The furniture. The doilies on the furniture. The knick knacks. The framed family photographs on the walls and on the stands. He scowled with disdain as he kept his back to his brother.


Finally, he could take no more. “This place reeks of paganism!”


Darwyn remained where he was. “It is not Christians who are pagans, my brother.”


Youmud turned his head and glared at him. “So…you denounce Allah.”


“I proclaim Jesus Christ.”


The younger man scowled hard and restrained himself from attacking. “Do you not remember the words spoken by Muhammad?! ‘Who relinquishes his faith, kill him. I have been ordered by Allah to fight with people 'till they testify there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger.’ You have just declared yourself as my enemy!”


Darwyn looked at him sadly. “Our father has taught you well.”


“And our mother has doomed your soul.”


He narrowed his eyes. “You don’t know what you speak of.”


“Don’t I?” Youmud turned fully about and brought himself to stand in front of his brother. “Our mother tried to convert you. Father warned me of this and it was his concern her words to you might have pierced your heart. He ordered me to watch you…to see if you would fall. He was right in that. You were weakened by her words. Father was certain if he had made you watch her execution you would become strong.” He pursed his lips. “Yet he was wrong in that, wasn’t he?”


“It is you who are wrong. We were wrong. I have witnessed the truth in my heart, and-”


“The Quran says to ‘fight and slay the Pagans wherever you find them’!1” Youmud vehemently interrupted. “You are a pagan! You’ll be slaughtered, I promise you this and it shall be by my hand. Your new friends will also be murdered. The doctor whom you’ve protected…the Jewish swine you saved will suffer the most. I’ll personally see to that! She will suffer like Father made our mother suffer because of what you did.”


“You’ll not harm her.”


Youmud shook his head in disbelief. “You’re a fool to think I won’t honor my promise to you.”


“I know you intend to but you’ll fail.”


“Are you going to kill me then? Because that will be the only way you can stop me.” He stood up straight, puffed out his chest and spread his arms wide. “Go ahead, brother! Kill me. Kill me here and now.”


Darwyn just looked at him.


Youmud slapped him hard across the face. “Why won’t you kill me? I intend great harm to the ones you’ve turned to rather than your own flesh and blood.”


Darwyn’s head was pushed to the left from the force of the blow. However, he straightened and looked his brother in the eyes. “If you’ve come to kill me, do it. If you think I’ll turn the other cheek, think again.”


“I haven’t come here to kill you…yet. That day will come, I assure you. I just wanted to see your face one last time before I do anything to exact my revenge upon you. You’ve taken our father’s name and disgraced it.”


“Have you seen enough then?”


Youmud paused. Finally, he nodded. “I have.” He headed for the front door. As he opened it, he stopped and turned to regard his brother. “Our day has come…but you will not share in our victory. You have chosen to turn from the true faith and have accepted to follow a false god.”


Darwyn sadly shook his head. “It’s you, brother, who follow after false teachings. Who is Allah but a god whom no one truly knows? Can we even say if we know whether Allah loves us or not?” He shrugged. “I’ve heard it asked of us many times…even answered in the same way. ‘I don’t know how much he loves me. Only Allah knows.’ Yet if you’ll turn to the scriptures, you will come to discover a God who truly loves us. ‘For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.’2 And more scripture tells us that ‘God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.’3 Is Allah any of these things?” Again, he shook his head. “No. Allah is not love because Allah is not God. Do you not see that it’s because of our hatred, which blinds us from the truth? Don’t you want a personal relationship with a God who truly loves you than with a god who cannot be known? Allah is not interested in loving us, but the one true God says to ‘Call unto Me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.’4 Please, brother, do not harden your heart to the truth.”


Youmud glared at him. “I know the truth. You know a lie. Besides…” A cruel smile began to appear on his face. “I have seen the truth. I have seen…him.”


Darwyn frowned. “You’ve seen who?”


The younger man paused for affect. “Mahdi.”


“Where did you see Mahdi?”


“Why do you care where I’ve seen him? Shouldn’t it be enough that I did and you didn’t? Father has taken me to see him. He’s shared with me more than you could ever know because he feared he would lose you. He confided in me, brother, behind your back.”


“Who is this Mahdi, Youmud?”


“He is the divinely guided one. I’ve heard him speak and believe he is the one who will change everything for everyone.” He paused. “When he comes into power, he will not tolerate Christians or Jews. Nor will he tolerate those who have turned from the faith.”


Darwyn considered his words. “This man of whom you speak…I implore you not to be swayed by his deceit.”


“I am not the one who is swayed. You are.” He turned to leave. “You are no longer my brother. You are dead to me.”


He slammed the door shut as he left.


Darwyn stared at the door and felt as if he had lost a brother.


******* *******


1 Surah 9:5
2 John 3:16
3 I John 4:16
4 Jeremiah 33:3

_______ _______ _______

No comments: